Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the Process to Jumpseat on Hawaiian?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry Jim, but Hawaiian is not always as simple as showing up at the counter...I have more Hawaiian nightmare stories as a percentage of my nightmare stories than any other airline. It can be as simple as walking up to the counter, but do so at your own peril as it then depends on the station/agent you happen to be dealing with.

You are expected to list with reservations 1800-367-5320...even for inter-island. Reservations will not list an offline jumpseater less than two hours prior to departure. If you don't list, you will be at the gate agents mercy.

If you are in Honolulu you need to go to the customer service counter which is in the inter-island terminal...I.e. you are hosed if you are in the mainland/international terminal.

The biggest problem HA used to have was they used to require you to go through security as they made you a "selectee" so you would get "special" treatment from the TSA. I haven't run into this lately but it might be worth checking into. SEA & HNL use to require you to go to the ticket counter first if you were going to the mainland, even if you were already inside security. I've never done OAK-HNL, but it might be worth checking what the protocol is at OAK if you happen to be there ahead of time.

HA is still a little "old school" (not necessarily a bad thing)...in other words I would not show up in jeans or sneakers.
I've e-mailed our jump seat coordinator with your info so he can try and fix the problems.

I've NEVER had a problem listing at the gate with Hawaiian, with the exception of HNL, where you have to go to the Special Service counter to do it because the gates don't have CASS access. Never called a phone number before either.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
This is how it is supposed to work.

Some gates have CASS, some don't. Being sent to the Service Center is understandable and they are inside security so it's not a problem unless you are not giving yourself time between checking in and push.

And yes, we require collared shirts and slacks. T-shirts, jeans, shorts and slippers will be turned away. You can wear the above non-reving (Zed fare) in coach but the same dress code applies for first class as jump seating.

And for you Go pilots, I've had two of you show up in the last couple of months in uniforms that had stained shirts and wrinkles that looked like the shirt had spent the last year wadded up in the bottom of the dirt close basket. If you are going to jump in uniform, make sure it is clean and pressed. And wear your tie. When you jump in uniform the pax assume you are a Hawaiian pilot and you will not get on if your uniform looks like ********************.

I just talked with the Chief Pilot and confirmed what I posted is corrected.

For inter island and mainland flights and can just show up at the gate and ask to jump seat. Some HNL gates do not have CASS access and you may be sent to a service center or the ticket counter for a CASS check. Out stations other than HNL, you may also be asked to go to the ticket counter if the gate computers do not have CASS access. (If it was me, I'd save myself some hassle and just start with the ticket counter everywhere).

The CP did acknowledge there have been a couple of incidents (mostly 135 guys) where pilots have been turned away for not being in CASS but the CP is working on educating the agents these guys can ride in the back.

For international, you may be asked to call reservations because you have to pay foreign taxes and fees. Reservations will take your credit card for these.

I hope you told your jump seat coordinator so he could tell ours.

I did file a jumpseat report. I wish I had gotten the agent's name. It was flight 18, HNL-LAS on April 18. I showed up prior to the 30 minute cutoff. Collared shirt, slacks, and dress shoes. Turned down flat, she said that it takes too long. I had thought she meant that she was busy at the moment. Nope, she just wasn't going to do it. Never saw the crew. I have sinced asked around and a few others have had a similar experience jumpseating on Hawaiian. Guess it's not just me....

What Jim says is correct. It's supposed to be easy and also we carry as many jumpseaters as empty seats will allow. I've had plenty of jumpseaters and no one seemed to have a problem. As far as having a problem with an agent....one possible explanation, we have a few agents that could use charm school, but a majority are great. However, while it's true everywhere that if your nice they are nice and if you are not nice, they may not be so nice, at Hawaiian it's even a little more so. If you are anything other than humble and friendly you may not get the same treatment that someone who is would get. We have a few agents that simply wouldn't feel obligated to help someone if they were demanding and a few who would probably take it on their own to toss a hurtle out if they deemed you demanding.

I did file a jumpseat report. I wish I had gotten the agent's name. It was flight 18, HNL-LAS on April 18. I showed up prior to the 30 minute cutoff. Collared shirt, slacks, and dress shoes. Turned down flat, she said that it takes too long. I had thought she meant that she was busy at the moment. Nope, she just wasn't going to do it. Never saw the crew. I have sinced asked around and a few others have had a similar experience jumpseating on Hawaiian. Guess it's not just me....

Actually, the cut-off time to list for the jumpseat as an offline pilot is 45 minutes prior for transpacific flights, and 30 minutes prior for interisland flights. Offline jumpseaters are not supposed to be allowed to call to list in advance, as it is technically a walk-up first-come, first-serve priority.

As others have mentioned, listing in HNL is done either at the front ticket counters, or the customer service centers (usually three open in the interisland terminal).

FYI, the customer service centers INSIDE security often runs out of the jumpseat forms and they will ask you to leave security just to get a form from the front counter. Also some stations, such as LAX, can only clear pilots in CASS at the front ticket counters because the computers they use at the gate have no access to CASS.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Are any of the HA pilots allowed to share actual seats available on your flights?

Thanks again.

No worries I'll give it to you here....
11th oak to ogg is 3 avail in 1st and 14 in coach, this far away I'm afraid you may have to ride up front

15 th going back looks a little better 8 in 1st and 21 in coach. As a back up, on the 15th there is 41 available out of Hnl. I hate to say it but this far in advance and it being summer I would say they could be full.

Latest resources

Back