What is a deflection shot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bizjet800

I am reading a book about two WW2 P-38 fighter pilots and they were doing deflection shots, what is that?

Not that I fly fighters, but.......

Like someone else, it simply means shoot where the airplane is going to be, not where it is. Imagine, use your hands, if you are both in say a turn, you chasing the plane in front. If you shoot directly at him, your bullets would fall behind the target, so you need to lead your target. Or if you are flying straight and level and he is turning in front of you, if you aim straight at the target, by the time the bullets reaches that area, the target would again have passed, so you aim where the target will be when the bullets get there.

Not that I fly fighters, but.......

Like someone else, it simply means shoot where the airplane is going to be, not where it is. Imagine, use your hands, if you are both in say a turn, you chasing the plane in front. If you shoot directly at him, your bullets would fall behind the target, so you need to lead your target. Or if you are flying straight and level and he is turning in front of you, if you aim straight at the target, by the time the bullets reaches that area, the target would again have passed, so you aim where the target will be when the bullets get there.
Wow...you said in a paragraph what post #2 said in 14 words! Talk about department of redundancy department! LOL. :laugh:

Thanks guys! I thought it was some sort of leading/turning shot, but I wasn't sure. In case anyone is wondering, the book is about Dick Bong (40 kills) and Thomas Mcguire (38 kills) called Aces High, by Bill Yenne. They flew P-38s in the Pacific Theatre. I've read many books on WW2--this one is great stuff!!

Thanks guys! I thought it was some sort of leading/turning shot, but I wasn't sure. In case anyone is wondering, the book is about Dick Bong (40 kills) and Thomas Mcguire (38 kills) called Aces High, by Bill Yenne. They flew P-38s in the Pacific Theatre. I've read many books on WW2--this one is great stuff!!

just picked that book up and cannot wait to dig in. .

Looks like we all shop from the closeout table at Books-A-Million. I just started the same book yesterday.

Gonna go grab a copy. Enjoy reading books on WW2 aviators.

Latest resources

Back