Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does "Viscinity of an airport" mean???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

Anyone know the official distance for the term “Vicinity of an airport”… What exactly does this mean as it applies to a pilot. I’ve heard some people say as far as 25 Nautical miles from an airport, yet I have also heard it means within the confines of the airport’s traffic pattern. There are many FAA publications that use the term “Vicinity of an airport” yet I have not been able to find any definition as to what that really means. For instance…according to 91.103(a) I’m required to receive weather reports and forecasts if I’m not in the vicinity of an airport. Well, what does that really mean? The only distance I have found that defines “Vicinity” is in the weather services AC 00-45E. It is in the TAF section and it states that Vicinity is 5-10 SM… But that is for what VC in a TAF means. Any one have any constructive information on this question. Thanks in advance.

You got it.

My understanding is that the AC (5-10 miles) is pretty much the accepted standard.

Anything else can't be interpreted as more conservative and therefore would be harder to defend in court.

CYA.
Good luck.

On a possibly related subject, what's the definition of "designated for an airport", as specified in

91.117(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

The_Russian said:
As opposed to Class B designated for a pizza shop?
Either that, or the underlying airspace designated for a pizza shop...not exactly a clearly written reg, even by FAA standards ;)

mar said:
My understanding is that the AC (5-10 miles) is pretty much the accepted standard.
That's the correct answer. It's just the immediate terminal area of the airport.

So it's a good idea if you hear thunderstorms or lightning in the vicinity of the airport, that it's probably sitting almost directly on top of the airport at that point!

The AIM I believe has a paragraph on this, which'll conclusively answer your question.

Latest resources

Back