• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What brand of sunglasses do you wear?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ray-Ban Predator Sport Metal Wrap.'s. Second pair I've owned after I got tired of my Aviator's. I've managed to keep this pair for over a year. I always buy online, just type in Sunglasses at Yahoo and you'll have plenty of retailers to choose from.

Indeed the Polarized lenses are a problem in aircraft with specially coated and layered windsheilds built like those found in commercial airliners...but...do they really cause a problem through the plexiglass windsheilds found in light Cessnas? I've used all sorts of suinglasses while flying in Cessnas and never really noticed much difference. My biggest complaint is with cheap lenses which tend to have optical imperfections that lead to eye strain.

to polarize or not to polarize

I wear polarized Oakley's when I'm not flying. Yes polarized lenses distort your vision depending on the angle of vision. On our Saab 340, they cause spots of black and gray and can become very annoying and even discomforting.

When I first began flying EFIS equipped aircraft, I would notice that the entire EFIS screens were becoming nearly blocked. I freaked for a second thinking I was losing my eyesight. I had remembered earlier pulling up to a Wells Fargo ATM that had a LCD screen. Man did my polarized sunglasses block out the colors! We learned that polarization mumbo-jumbo in college physics but that is a distant memory....

So now I'm using non-polarized sunglasses when flying and polarized when I'm off duty skiing, doing whatever. It really cuts through the haze and glare when going down a bright ski slope.

Right now i'm using a pair of Ray Bans, not sure what model. They have worked great so far... up until this past 4th of July. I guess I had a little too much fun. Anyway, one of the lenses popped out, a nose pad fell off, and the frame bent. I thought I was screwed, but I took it to the local Sunglass Hut to see if they would be able to fix it. I was expecting to pay a pretty penny for it all, but to my surprise it was all free of charge!!! You can probably get a better deal on the internet than at the Sunglass Hut, but as far as customer service goes. They get a big thumbs up from me!

Try this link... http://www.ultimateshades.com/rayban/Predator/Pred_Met_Square_3d.htm. These are what I use.

They are lightweight and safe for your eyes. Beware of the "drug store" rack sunglasses; they are dangerous to your eyes. I don't have a link for the article but Consumer Reports compared the merits of different sunglasses and REVO, Armani and Ray Ban's were highly rated. $81.75 isn't to much to pay inorder to protect your eyes.

Out... :cool:

Last edited:
Seeing Colors...

Ok...now that we've narrowed down which type of sunglasses tend to work out best, what's the best lens color to have?

Latest resources

Back