What are schools paying CFIs lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eddie

I have been out of instructing for about 15 years. I know that the freelance instructors in my area are charging $40/hr, but I am thinking of doing some instruction for a local flying club. They were pretty vague about how much they are planning to pay instructors. What are the flight schools paying these days? thanks.

I mainly dependents on where you live, I seen schools here in NE FL pay 10 for ground, 15 to 20 for private and instrument and up to 30 more multi or complex training and schools charges 50 to 60. I'm an independent guy and I charge $30hr flight time and $25hr for ground.

jdaero - do you carry cfi insurance? I know a few people who are interested in doing their instrument rating with me, but I haven't researched what kind of insurance I should be carrying if I instruct on my own. Also, if you are self employed for tax purposes, is that pretty easy to deal with? I always instructed for flight schools in the past, and I have no idea where to start! Thanks.

jdaero - do you carry cfi insurance? I know a few people who are interested in doing their instrument rating with me, but I haven't researched what kind of insurance I should be carrying if I instruct on my own. Also, if you are self employed for tax purposes, is that pretty easy to deal with? I always instructed for flight schools in the past, and I have no idea where to start! Thanks.

I used to freelance and never had insurance other than meeting the rental deductible ($5000).

I'm independent working under an LLC. Before I bought my airplane I purchased CFI insurance through Avemco. I got renters insurance with CFI coverage for about 450$ a year. Taxwise, instruction since it is a service and is not taxed as sales tax but as income. I charge $50 an hr because that is what the market here will bare.

Latest resources

Back