Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ukaviator

I’m in need of enlightenment ...

If I were in the United Kingdom right now, I could hop on a carrier like Ryanair or Easyjet from London and go to Ireland for the weekend for about $70.00 return direct, or from the UK to Italy for about $100
Now lets say I wanted to go from Orlando to Key West for the weekend, it would cost me about $500.00 direct return.
Or say, Atlanta to Jacksonville which is about the same distance for about $400.00.

Now these 'no-frills' airlines such as Ryanair are boasting profits (even with the high fuel prices), whereas our carriers are reporting losses. You don’t hear much about bankruptcy, or losses as such, just packed flights and profits.

In fact I read in the USA today last week how air travel within the US is up 80%, then I flicked forward a few pages and read how Northwest pilots are taking a pay cut! Why? Doesn’t more passengers = more money?!

What are we doing wrong? Why do we charge more, but get less?
Does anyone know what an FO or CA on say Ryanair makes per hour?
Because if its close or exceeds our staggering $19.00 per hour starting pay, then one has to ask themselves, again, what are we doing wrong?

My friends over in the UK will go over to Europe for the weekend just for something to do, but for us to do say fly to Vegas for the weekend, or NY for the weekend is frankly inconceivable due to the cost.

We pilots are getting screwed, the passengers are getting screwed, so who isn’t? Management? Where is the money going and why is our industry in such a mess?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Desire? WTF?! ukaviator had a well thought out question and deserves a better answer than that. I'd like to hear a serious answer as well seeing as how the airline indusrty in this country baffles me beyond belief. Here's a wild guess:
Government subsidies.
uw uw here's another:
Insurance differences

mcjohn said:
Here's a wild guess: Government subsidies. Here's another: Insurance differences
And unaccountable management.

Do the UK pilots offer to fly practically for free just to have a job and fly shiny jets?

User998 said:
Do the UK pilots offer to fly practically for free just to have a job and fly shiny jets?

Hmm you mean like our pilots in the US do!?
Any UK pilots flying for these 'no frills' airlines care to comment?

User998 said:
No, but on average, they have a more difficult and longer route to becoming a pilot. Over there, they do pay for their own training to an even larger extent we do. But they spend more time with ground studies. The JAA doesn't give away answers to the written tests. You actually have to know what you're talking about to pass them. Airlines are also much more selective in whom they hire. There, it isn't about hours, but about levels (grades), psychometric testing, group interview, and flying skill. Not things every pilot would posess here in the US.

Don't think that working or living, or paying taxes in Europe is easy. On average, for an RJ pilot- after tax we have the same income. Starting salaries are however higher in Europe so one may maintain a standard of living. Even the "no frills" operators are well run, but working conditions are probably worse than a lot of regionals here. You probably wouldn't see 15 days off in Europe unless you're with a flag carrier or flying long-haul. You just don't see that kind of schedule on a monthly basis, even though they do get more paid leave.

That being said, you only find a small number of RJ operators in Europe. Most "regional" aircraft over there are Boeings and Airbuses. It isn't profitable to operate small jets, because the population centers are realtively close, and for the folks in between- they just drive to the airport. Here, if you live on a farm outside Peoria, you'll pay the money to avoid the drive to Chicago.

So, be thankful you have your job. But if your pay is low, that is usually an indicator of the type of outfit you work for...

Last edited:
User998 said:
And unaccountable management.

Just about, read this.

Ryanair - A Guide for Prospective Pilot Employees

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214074

When I was training for CAA 509 ATPL Course, and Ryanair where flying 737-200s and BAC1-11s. Everytime I flew home, it would always be a ryanair flight as i could always get jump seat flying back to Dublin from London.

One time departing from London the two pilots where smoking with there cigarrates hanging from there mouths as we where rolling down the runway..

That day in class we where learning Human Perf...lol.

Latest resources

Back