• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rfresh

B-777
This is a true story:

A friend of mine owned a C-172 and was a relativelay low time GA pilot. One day he saw an ad in the Los Angeles Times advertising for a Westwind Co-pilot. He called. The company was a charter operator and the chief pilot told him he had to fly the Westwind over to Paris to pickup the owner and that he needed someone to fill in the right seat. He said the total trip would be around 30 hours and he wouldn't get to touch the wheel in flight. He just needed a warm body. The captain was also a CFI so this would be a legal Part 91 trip.

My friend asked how much did it pay? The Captain laughed and said that's a good one - it will only cost *you* 3000.00 - I'll let you come along and sit in the right seat. Quickly thinking my friend said "Deal".

I said are you nuts? You're paying him 3000.00 to sit in the right seat and not get any stick time? He replied 30 hours in the right seat of the jet means he can log it as SIC and for 3k that comes out to 100.00 an hour.

The next nite the Captain told him to meet him at the plane and that he would let my friend do 3 bounces. My friend never flew a jet before and it was nite - he told me he couldn't have been more lost - strange cockpit, dark out, etc. He did his 3 bounces and the Captain said be here tomorrow at 8am for our departure.

He made the trip and even tho this Captain was an a**hole, my friend somehow got along with him. I met this Captain a few times and I did not like him at all.

My friend, as time went on, got calls from this captain when ever he needed someone to help him ferry one of their biz jets somewhere for a Part 135 charter. They ferried under part 91 so the captain didn't have to use his higher priced 135 pilots to stage aircraft. So, as time went on, my friend got more and more stick time in the biz jets. Soon, he had more jet time than C-172 time. Funny how things turn out eh?

rfresh said:
This is a true story:

A friend of mine owned a C-172 and was a relativelay low time GA pilot. One day he saw an ad in the Los Angeles Times advertising for a Westwind Co-pilot. He called. The company was a charter operator and the chief pilot told him he had to fly the Westwind over to Paris to pickup the owner and that he needed someone to fill in the right seat. He said the total trip would be around 30 hours and he wouldn't get to touch the wheel in flight. He just needed a warm body. The captain was also a CFI so this would be a legal Part 91 trip.

My friend asked how much did it pay? The Captain laughed and said that's a good one - it will only cost *you* 3000.00 - I'll let you come along and sit in the right seat. Quickly thinking my friend said "Deal".

I said are you nuts? You're paying him 3000.00 to sit in the right seat and not get any stick time? He replied 30 hours in the right seat of the jet means he can log it as SIC and for 3k that comes out to 100.00 an hour.

The next nite the Captain told him to meet him at the plane and that he would let my friend do 3 bounces. My friend never flew a jet before and it was nite - he told me he couldn't have been more lost - strange cockpit, dark out, etc. He did his 3 bounces and the Captain said be here tomorrow at 8am for our departure.

He made the trip and even tho this Captain was an a**hole, my friend somehow got along with him. I met this Captain a few times and I did not like him at all.

My friend, as time went on, got calls from this captain when ever he needed someone to help him ferry one of their biz jets somewhere for a Part 135 charter. They ferried under part 91 so the captain didn't have to use his higher priced 135 pilots to stage aircraft. So, as time went on, my friend got more and more stick time in the biz jets. Soon, he had more jet time than C-172 time. Funny how things turn out eh?

No. It's not.

rfresh said:
This is a true story:

How is your old Westwind flying these days?

rfresh said:
This is a true story:

haha, funny!

so your "friend" paid 3K to ride in a POS Westwind?

that is funny......and kinda pathetic!!!

:rolleyes:

and people wonder why companies can pay pilots next to nothing (or in this case pay the company :-/

It's pretty easy to understand why professional pilots get paid such lousy wages when there are dingbats like this that actually agree to pay someone else to do them a service. No one with any self respect would agree to pay $3,000 to warm the right seat. What a joke.

Maybe I am wrong, but in Europe don' t both pilots have to be type rated in the aircraft if it requires a type rating. If that being true, how about the three grand plus an airline ticket home?

81Horse said:
And your point is ... ?
That his friend has further cheapened the pilot industry, which results in making it harder and harder for us real pilots to make a decent living in this industry.

Latest resources

Back