Well Stated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nimtz

Fly the Unfriendly Skies : Pilots plan informational pickets about low wages, lack of contract
By Amy Starnes http://www.freetimes.com/print.php?sid=1860

JOHN HEINRICH walked into Cleveland Hopkins Airport one Monday in late July and ran smack into one of the airlines' secrets: professional pilots who operate commuter or regional flights for the big birds make shockingly little money.

Heinrich ran into a group of ExpressJet pilots holding an informational picket in front of Hopkins' Continental Airlines ticket counter. They've been attempting to negotiate a new contract for more than 800 days now. The picket was the third so far this year and coincided with others at Continental's hubs in Houston and Newark.

ExpressJet operates as Continental Express, the regional jet affiliate of Continental Airlines, but as ExpressJet spokeswoman Christy Nicholas is quick to point out, ExpressJet is no longer a subsidiary of Continental Airlines. ExpressJet was sold on the public market in April 2002, and at first Continental owned 53.1 percent of the shares but has since sold down to about 31 percent — still the largest shareholder.

To the average ticket-holding flyer, they're still Continental pilots, they're flying Continental planes to 130 destinations in the United States, Canada and Mexico, and they're still charged with your safety. But what John didn't know until that Monday was that their starting salary is $17,600 a year.

“My wife makes $9 an hour making pizza. I was shocked,” Heinrich says. “I thought, this is ridiculous.”

Cleveland-based ExpressJet Captain Chris Addams, who helped organize July's informational picket, says, “A lot of our first officers, in order to be able to provide for their families … work second jobs, or their wives work as well so that both of them can bring home enough income.”

First Officer Jim Alcido of Houston is 42. He helps fly a 50-seat Ebraer145 through Cleveland two to three times a month. He started at $17,600, but now makes about $27,000 as a third-year officer. It's not enough to support his wife and two small boys — ages 7 and 2 — so he works two other jobs. He's a member of the Navy Reserve and commits at least a weekend a month and other occasional days there. In the rest of his free time he delivers Domino's Pizza for extra cash.

“I don't want to sound like ‘poor me' or what have you, but I usually don't have an off day. I pretty much work all month,” Alcido says.

Alcido flies Continental Express routes 20 to 30 hours per week, which normally takes up four out the week's seven days. The Federal Aviation Administration caps pilot flight time at 30 hours per week and 100 hours per month, so even if Alcido wanted to pick up extra flights to exceed his minimum pay, it's rarely possible. Plus, Alcido isn't paid for the four days he's gone, just the hours in the air. When you're out of town for four days, that limits the moonlighting possibilities.

His family rents an apartment, just bought a used van because one of their older cars died, and he notes that if anything major happens to one of the vehicles he would probably have to ask family for help.

Alcido and other ExpressJet pilots are not alone, however. Earlier this year, Mesaba Airlines pilots nearly struck over a two-year-old contract dispute. Mesaba, based in Eagan, Minnesota, operates 600 flights daily for Northwest Airlines to 114 cities in 30 states. The pilots contended they weren't making a living wage. Their starting pay was about $17,000 a year, and the union claimed that half the pilots earned less than $32,500 per year.

ExpressJet and the Airline Pilots Association have been stuck in negotiations over pay increases for the first officers as well as other job definition and job security issues.

“Our pilot group is growing kind of frustrated because it's taking so long, and there's really no need for it to. And we feel the company is kind of stalling, even though they have repeatedly said they're making good progress with us,” Addams says.

ExpressJet spokeswoman Nicholas says the company will not comment on ongoing negotiations. In the meantime, the Airline Pilots Association plans another Cleveland informational picket sometime around Labor Day, but they have yet to firm up plans.

ExpressJet beginning first officers receive incremental raises per year, but a major jump in salary would really come only when the officer makes captain. Alcido estimates he might make about $50,000 per year when he makes captain. But his rank attainment depends on the other officers in line before him and the economics of the airline industry. Many pilots were laid off or “furloughed,” as the industry calls it, after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

“There were times when we had pilots who'd only been with our company two years and were making captain. Now I don't think there's a single captain who's been with our company five years,” Addams says. “We have first officers who have been with the company going into their fifth year, and they have never broken $30,000 a year on their W-2.”

Switching companies for one that pays better isn't always an option, since some companies still have furloughed pilots, and switching would only make the pilot low man on the seniority and captain list.

Alcido believes his captain status is about two years away. Before he became a pilot and while he was earning his bachelor's degree in aviation management from Ohio State University, Alcido worked loading and unloading planes. He would earn $1,000 more a month if he went back today.

He and his wife have talked about it extensively, but the decision came down to two things: he may ultimately make more as a pilot if he sticks with it; and, “I've always wanted to be a pilot, which is a curse, I guess.”

low pay

I know it's got to be hard to support a family on that income. My heart really does go out to those pilots making a sub-standard wage. But, everyone who takes the job knows what the pay is. Why does everyone complain about the pay after they have the job? The only way to ensure a pay increase is to not accept a low paying job. It's supply v. demand. There was a time when I wanted to fly for the regionals. But, I could never make the numbers work for me. When I accept a job, I make sure that I can live off of the offered pay for 3 years. This is my way of calculating mortgage return, etc. Am I way off base here?

This is a sick and frustrating broken record! The plight of the XJT pilots was/is the same as the Mesaba pilots whos was the same as the INSERT REGIONAL AIRLINE HERE pilots. Isn't it obvious to ALPA that there are SERIOUS issues at the "regional" level. Oh that's right... it's NOT a confllict of interest and while ALPA is going to try and not let the mainline guys take cuts too far so as to not derail their lifestyles.. the "regionals" will take it in the shorts. However it will always be you'll get what you negotiate.

Best of luck Coex... everybody (most anyway) at Mesaba remembers all to disgustingly how it feels to be in your shoes.

Gear guy... you miss the point. Most of us got into the "regional" level knowing how bad the pay is going to be, but with improvment on the horizon. And even though one knows how awful its going to be, doesn't make it right. It just further fuels the drive for making things better each contract at a time. Good for you that you were able to not take the dreaded regional route. But don't sit on the sidelines and preach about something you don't know anything about.

FO

Last edited:
Lots of us miss the point.

I COULD NOT take a job for 17K a year!...wouldnt, couldnt, never, Thank You.

You took a job based on better pay on the horizon? did you get this in writing? nope...I bet you were just so excited to be an airline stud that you just didn't care at the moment!....but that wore off and now you are pi$$ed..and it's certainly someone elses fault besides yours... right?

Feel sorry for poor 40 yr old "James" who makes 17K/yr, works 6 jobs to feed his family to live his airline dream???

Yeah, I feel sorry for James....sorry he's a FOOL...

flap operator said:
And even though one knows how awful its going to be, doesn't make it right. It just further fuels the drive for making things better each contract at a time.
You're correct, it does'nt make it right. But it does make your argument hard to defend. I mean you did sign on to fly for X amount of money. Now you are pi$$ed because you are'nt making more than X??? Think about it from the company's point of view. If you want the company to change their contract, the best "fuel" is not giving them the ability to fill the positions. You are doing more to stop the drive by taking that job and then thinking, "things are looking up." You are bringing the whole industry down too. They know they can fill those positions for 17K/year, and they do it 7 days a week. I don't fault those who are smart and take the job knowing all factors and base it on current company situations (not horizon expectations). They are generally the ones that are happy with their job.

In the future: Don't base any job on what management promises. Get it in writing or deal with it.

I guess I just don't get it...huh? :rolleyes:

Gulfstream 200 said:

You took a job based on better pay on the horizon? did you get this in writing? nope...I bet you were just so excited to be an airline stud that you just didn't care at the moment!....but that wore off and now you are pi$$ed..and it's certainly someone elses fault besides yours... right?

Feel sorry for poor 40 yr old "James" who makes 17K/yr, works 6 jobs to feed his family to live his airline dream???

Most pilots, including myself, went to "regional" carriers with a standard progression in mind. Flight instruct, get MEI, flight instruct some more, get crappy job flying piston twins for 135 company, get interview with regional carrier, make captain in a few years, build PIC turbine time, move on to National or Major.

The idea of making crappy wages for a few years was palatable with the idea of moving on to a better job in the near future. When airlines with over 10,000 pilots were hiring there was a lot of movement. Now that every thing has gone to he11, we must no longer look at the regionals as a steeping stone. Managements have gotten away with paying low wages because there was high turnover.

If companies such as DAL, AMR, CAL, etc, etc want to downsize the mainline and use their respective "regionals" as the growth entity, then the pay must go up at the regionals. Once the growth cycle reverses, ie Mainline to regional, the regional pay should reflect an increase, maybe not to mainline levels but they must increase.

The, "if you don't like it leave" attitude is killing this profession. I support better contracts at all "Regionals".

I agree, its a sad state..

but James better not plan on seeing a PENNY more as long as there are hundreds of FOOLS (like himself) lined up ready to take that job for 17K/yr....

The saddest part of all....even if management told them "this is your pay for thext 30 years" the masses would still come, eager to be pilots..

If I owned a regional airline?....$hit, I would cut your pay even more, because you would still fly - and I would make more money..

Make your own $hitty bed and sleep in it!!

Its insane, its gotta change!!.....but one has to just F'n laugh at the ones who complain shortly after signing on to these wages!! - not a foot to stand on folks, sorry..

Last edited:
At Eagle, I understand that they are having a hard time filling classes. They just lowered the mins again to try and fill classes and flowbacks are not coming to Eagle as management had planned.
I agree that the pay at regionals will have to eventually come up. If majors aren't hiring and captain upgrades are taking long, it doesn't take to much for a newhire to realize he/she is doomed to low pay for years.
I don't expect much of a rise in pay at the regional level until even newly minted Commercial pilots shun the jobs. In the interest of safety (*sarcasm) they will just continue to lower the mins instead of raising the pay.

Gulfstream 200 said:
I agree, its a sad state..

but James better not plan on seeing a PENNY more as long as there are hundreds of FOOLS (like himself) lined up ready to take that job for 17K/yr....

The saddest part of all....even if management told them "this is your pay for thext 30 years" the masses would still come, eager to be pilots..

If I owned a regional airline?....$hit, I would cut your pay even more, because you would still fly - and I would make more money..

Make your own $hitty bed and sleep in it!!

Its insane, its gotta change!!.....but one has to just F'n laugh at the ones who complain shortly after signing on to these wages!! - not a foot to stand on folks, sorry..
Good point. You are right, there are too many pilots who just want to be able to tell someone they are a pilot. It takes a few years until they come to see reality. We are our own worst enemy, but you have to applaude the guys and gals trying to make a better job out of the regionals.

For those who are not "in it for the money", go become a doctor and buy an airplane. If you are not in it for the money........don't fly for money. (directed to those who support..."if you don't like it leave")

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:

Well stated..

They knew what they were getting into from day 1. If they didn't want to work for the pay then they should have looked elsewhere. The pay was not "hidden" in any way, apparently he thought it could work or he wouldn't have accepted. I recently met a American Eagle pilot who left for XJT, I had to scratch my head since it was quite comical and it made about as much sense as jumping off a bridge with no water under it.

I hope the EJT folks get what they deserve.

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back