Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RampTower

Ol 366PX, the ditch b!tch
I know alot of airline pilots take their job seriously and want to look professional in their spiffy uniforms. Even if you don't want to wear it, it's company policy and second, you "look" cool and professional in the public's eye.

But how about the freight pilots like UPS and FedEx? If I'm not mistaken, their operations are at separate locations on the airport and essentially they don't deal with the travelling public. So why do they have to wear a uniform other than because the company says so? Who are they trying to look professional towards? As far as I'm concerned they could wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops and still do the job exactly the same as they have always done it.

I talked to a guy at Gemini that said some of the crews on the really long flights change into casual clothes once they get to cruise. Not sure if that's common though.

FedEx and UPS both have tradition "pilot" uniforms. UPSes are brown(big shock) and I think FedEx wears navy blue but I am not 100% on that.

RampTower said:
I know alot of airline pilots take their job seriously and want to look professional in their spiffy uniforms. Even if you don't want to wear it, it's company policy and second, you "look" cool and professional in the public's eye.

But how about the freight pilots like UPS and FedEx? If I'm not mistaken, their operations are at separate locations on the airport and essentially they don't deal with the travelling public. So why do they have to wear a uniform other than because the company says so? Who are they trying to look professional towards? As far as I'm concerned they could wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops and still do the job exactly the same as they have always done it.

Has nothing to do with looking cool or spiffy as you put it. It's about professionalism. Our operations are at locations different from where the passengers go, but what does that have to do with if you wear a uniform or not. You're right, the clothes you're wearing should not change the the quality of the job you're performing, however, the rules are that you will wear the uniform and most professional pilots that I know do not have a problem with wearing it.

Based on the tone in your post, it sounds like you're a little jealous, maybe because you wish you could wear a uniform?

RampTower said:
So why do they have to wear a uniform other than because the company says so?

You pretty well answered your own question. The company does say so and since they sign my paycheck...well then, I wear whatever they want me to wear.

A brown pilot uniform? Do UPS pilots look like the truck drivers? Anyone got a picture?

I once worked for a flight school that required a uniform.According to the owner the only reason he required a uniform was incase we wrecked a plane, atleast when the NSTB/FAA showed up it would look like at least somone in the plane might know what was going on. Heard it with my own ears.I won't lie I want to wear a UPS or a FedEx pilot uniform

OrphicSeth said:
A brown pilot uniform? Do UPS pilots look like the truck drivers? Anyone got a picture?

Yes, they look like truck drivers. All those truck drivers that wear brown pilot uniforms.

OrphicSeth said:

Yes, they look just like the drivers. Most have two arms, two legs and a head.

The uniforms were modeled after United's...so, think of United's uniform only in dark brown with gold stripes and wings.

Last edited:
Midnight Flyer said:
Has nothing to do with looking cool or spiffy as you put it. It's about professionalism. Our operations are at locations different from where the passengers go, but what does that have to do with if you wear a uniform or not. You're right, the clothes you're wearing should not change the the quality of the job you're performing, however, the rules are that you will wear the uniform and most professional pilots that I know do not have a problem with wearing it.

I never said I have a problem with wearing it. Nor am I trying to start a flame war here. If the company says so, well then, so be it. But looking professional in front of your fellow employees? And not the travelling public?

Midnight Flyer said:
Based on the tone in your post, it sounds like you're a little jealous, maybe because you wish you could wear a uniform

Thanks but after 7 years at Mesaba, I really have no desire to wear any more uniforms than I have to. :D

Latest resources

Back