Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question Wax and/or paint protection on a fabric covered plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Neal

Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
I use a spray cleaner wax typically for general cleaning but I wonder if at some interval in time such as 6 months, annually, etc. should the paint on a fabric plane be waxed? What are the recommendations for paint protection on a cub for example?

I would follow the guidance of either the producer of the various covering processes and/or what the aircraft manufacturer provides. If nothing is published, it may be worth contacting them directly.

We last covered our PA-11 using a Butyrate dope finish. The only surface on the fabric I put anything but soap and water on is the leading edge of the wings. I apply Shell's Flight Jacket cleaner and polish once or twice a year in order to make it easier to remove bug strikes. [I soak the bugs using a spray bottle of water and then wipe them off with a hand towel to do this].

With the covering process I used, wax on the fabric greatly complicates fabric patching or other repairs because solvents used to remove wax may further damage the fabric. Pigmented Butyrate dope is not "paint". My finish protection strategy amounts to hangaring the airplane when not in use.

Great topic - I use a spray bottle of Distilled water wet the bugs and then a microfiber with distilled water. Distilled water makes makes short work of fresh bugs. Distilled water leaves no water marks of course. A product "Bug Slide" - Amazon, works great on the leading edge, struts and landing gear. The "Turtle Wax t-136R Express Shine" they use at Cubcrafters seems to work great. I used a similar product on my other plane with great success. On my Supercub I did that regimen for 12 years and it still looked new when I parted with it.

Latest resources

Back