Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

StarHustler

Go Mountaineers!
Anyone know anything about this Flight Dept out of Missoula, MT?

Operate a BBJ, Challenger 300 and a Hawker. Maybe a twin otter on floats and a chopper on a yacht on the west coast, but that might not be current. Owner has been on the Forbes 400 list for a long time.

Thanks. Know anything about the Flight Dept Quality of Life type stuff. Good to work for? Etc?

I remember reading about this flight department in ProPilot. Salaries were average for the aircraft types - nothing spectacular. That said, you could probably live well in Montana on those wages. Funny how the billionaires are always the cheap ones (I guess that is how they made their money)....

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to remember when Pro Pilot profiled them?

The billionaire

Meet Mr. Monopoly: The owner started out in the 60's with interstate highway contracts. I believe he flew a 182 of his own. I remember in the 80's when his flight department was operating a couple of jet Commanders. I'd see his pilots on the road in beige jackets and pants.

In the late 80's he bought the ASARCO smelter at Helena and the ARCO copper mining properties at Butte. After that he bought the rail lines from Glendive to Mullan Pass and started a railroad named Montana Railink and assessed rail fees to Burlington Northern along that whole track. His construction company bought Kassler Construction out of Riverside, CA in the mid 90's and also bought Morrison Knutson Construction out of Boise and he gained two Hawkers from that purchase in addition to two 800A's that he already had. At the time he operated a GIV, then that was sold for a Global. Also in the 90's he had a twin otter on floats and a helicopter. Maybe these are still around.

Also acquired was a short line railroad in BC and a tugboat company. Finally, remember the movied "Overboard"? That yacht in the movie caught fire later in the Red Sea. He bought the hulk, had it rebuilt and stretched and named it the Attessa. It has what looks like a Gazelle chopper on the back of it.

Last- ever heard of Aviation Partners? He was a founder of that company. Now you know how deep the history of the owner of this flight department goes.

I have followed the history of this owner for a long time being a Montana Native myself, as he is, and I am truly impressed with his accomplishments.

CC

Good info!

I remember reading about this flight department in ProPilot. Salaries were average for the aircraft types - nothing spectacular. That said, you could probably live well in Montana on those wages. Funny how the billionaires are always the cheap ones (I guess that is how they made their money)....

That being said... you won't be in Montana that much. Road warrior

Latest resources

Back