washing out/finding new job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BGSM

I just went through my first 121 job and did not make it through sim training, the majority (over 50%) also did not make through. I need another job fast as money is tight and I can't relocate and may have a tough time on regional FO pay. Any suggestions/ leads for work I live in NW Florida ? Also how does this look on my record ?

It's not a good thing, but it's probably not going to impact your career in a big way.

What company had a 50% washout rate, and why?

It will be included in your PRIA records. Your next employer will see this, but more importantly, when you interview they're gonna ask whether you've failed or washout somewhere. Better have a good answer as to the why. Although I've never had to answer that question, the consensus is to man up to it and explain what you've learned from it and move on. Remember, you're gonna have to convince the HR people that you're gonna be able to get throguh their training. Airlines pay a pretty penny to train pilots.

I just went through my first 121 job and did not make it through sim training, the majority (over 50%) also did not make through. I need another job fast as money is tight and I can't relocate and may have a tough time on regional FO pay. Any suggestions/ leads for work I live in NW Florida ? Also how does this look on my record ?

Fess up and have a good reason why you did not make it through training and you should be fine. In the mean time try to get a 135 job somewhere to build you skills and confidence.
I have not seen a 50% washout rate since I was at mesa in the mid 1990's, and that was because mesa did not care. I made through mesa's sh*tty training but quite a few classmates did not. I am also curious to who the carrier is. Good luck to you.

I have been flying 135 single pilot freight. Others who washed out had 12,000 hours and a few types rating. Everyone who washed out was not offered extra sim sessions. One made to the last day and was not recommended for his PC the next day and sent home. I can say my performance in the sim was not the best for various reasons. Either way I learned a lot while I was there now its time to move on but given my current situation that is the challenge.

All you can do from now on is to get back into the saddle and ride. I think you are going to be fine. good luck again.

I know for a fact that PCL will interview and possibly hire an oindividual that has had a bad experience and didn't make it through the traiing with another compny. No not me...A fellow military dude was sent home from sim training with another Co. I can not remember the Co. but he had an interview with PCL and next thing I knew...I saw him a few months later in our crew room as an FO. Take the lessons learned in the first event and use it to your advantage in landing the second job, and guananteed you will be more prepared for the next GiG!

Good Luck.

www.flypinnacle.com

if you are interested.

Latest resources

Back