• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wash-out style of training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think there's no doubt there is a cost associated with hiring a new pilot then dismissing him at some point during the training process. It starts with recruiting through the screening process and background checks then ground and flight training. I believe most or all airlines strive to have a 100% pass rate. Some attrition is unavoidable when new hires turn out to lack the ability or motivation to complete training. When a company has an unusually high fail rate, this indicates that something undesirable is going on. Of course you have to consider an adequate sample size to get an idea of what's going on.

I think an important factor is that the hiring departments have had to become very flexible to be able to react to constantly changing internal and external market forces of supply and demand.

The training programs tend to be less flexible because they must be very standardized. Then factor in the need to get any changes approved by the FAA and it becomes a task that I wouldn't want to take on.

So, when the hiring folks drop the minimums you can expect some the new hires to find it challenging to make it to the line. Of course, there will always be sharp motivated individuals who will rise to the challenge and benefit from the situation.

I think there's no doubt there is a cost associated with hiring a new pilot then dismissing him at some point during the training process. It starts with recruiting through the screening process and background checks then ground and flight training. I believe most or all airlines strive to have a 100% pass rate. Some attrition is unavoidable when new hires turn out to lack the ability or motivation to complete training. When a company has an unusually high fail rate, this indicates that something undesirable is going on. Of course you have to consider an adequate sample size to get an idea of what's going on.

I think an important factor is that the hiring departments have had to become very flexible to be able to react to constantly changing internal and external market forces of supply and demand.

The training programs tend to be less flexible because they must be very standardized. Then factor in the need to get any changes approved by the FAA and it becomes a task that I wouldn't want to take on.

So, when the hiring folks drop the minimums you can expect some the new hires to find it challenging to make it to the line. Of course, there will always be sharp motivated individuals who will rise to the challenge and benefit from the situation.

At the height of the "reign of terror" ABX used the "training process" to screen. Fear and intimidation were considered good motivational tools. We've come a long way since then.

If only. ACA's RJ bust rate in the late 90's was somewhere around the 50% level. It went on for years. Only after the off-the-chart training costs came to senior management's attention did the massacre end.

As far as yelling goes, it says a lot more about the instructor's childhood than anything else. Inside they're really crying. :crying:

Isn't that why we called them the "Taliban"?

Latest resources

Back