• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Want to fly an A380? Emirates CEO Wants 130 A380s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only regret I have is having to deal with an unforgiving anal retentive training department. They seem to work against the line pilots rather than with the line pilots. If you fart the wrong way in the simulator, the instructors will write it on the form for the company to see. Gone are the days of hearing "great job, nice safe flight...keep up the good work". Here even the most minor mistake is written down and turned into a reason to grade you down on your overall session.

I do have to say things are changing but very slowly.

Sounds just like another large airline in the Fragrant Harbor.

Guts

Would agree with Varmint...no regrets whatsoever - actually having a blast - just can't let them know about it. ; >

fv

The only regret I have is having to deal with an unforgiving anal retentive training department. They seem to work against the line pilots rather than with the line pilots. If you fart the wrong way in the simulator, the instructors will write it on the form for the company to see. Gone are the days of hearing "great job, nice safe flight...keep up the good work". Here even the most minor mistake is written down and turned into a reason to grade you down on your overall session.

I do have to say things are changing but very slowly.

It's definitely gotten better over the last few years. This is a recent missive from the VP of Training:

Training Ethos
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]There is a recurring theme in this month’s Newsletter and it follows on from my Editorial last month, in which I discussed the ethos we wish to promote within Training. I promise you it is not our intention to continually focus on the negative aspects of Flight Training, but the issue of how we train and how we treat people is fundamental to everything we do, so I would urge you all to read and reflect on the comments relating to this matter from all of the Chiefs and in particular The Chief of Training Standards’ article. No one should be in any doubt that Training Management is adamant that our job within Flight Training is to help, teach, mentor, guide, advise, train and most importantly respect our colleagues. We ‘check’ trainees only after we have trained them – I cannot put it any simpler than that!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

That makes it pretty clear what he expects and there are positive changes occuring.

Typhoonpilot

Gutshot, is G-550 the biggest jet you've flown? I know Emirates is big on airline experience and airliner equipment. Typhoonpilot should be able to clarify this...

However, there are some phenomenal bizjet gigs abroad. I occasionally get tempted to go home, but let me put it this way... the golden handcuffs are real especially if you're working for a quality operator.

Gutshot, is G-550 the biggest jet you've flown? I know Emirates is big on airline experience and airliner equipment. Typhoonpilot should be able to clarify this...

However, there are some phenomenal bizjet gigs abroad. I occasionally get tempted to go home, but let me put it this way... the golden handcuffs are real especially if you're working for a quality operator.

Yep, 550 is the biggest I've driven. My Delta pilot wife (medically retired, free to move about) gives me a hard time that her jet could carry more in fuel than my jet weighs....

"Yes honey, but would your jet go to FL510?" :p

Some would say I have golden handcuffs on at my current spot. It's just that I see a storm coming and I'm looking for a legal alternate.

Yep, 550 is the biggest I've driven. My Delta pilot wife (medically retired, free to move about) gives me a hard time that her jet could carry more in fuel than my jet weighs....

"Yes honey, but would your jet go to FL510?" :p

Some would say I have golden handcuffs on at my current spot. It's just that I see a storm coming and I'm looking for a legal alternate.

You feel NJA is heading for the shoals? Mebbe I should be looking too.

Odd that EK would view a CRJ 200/700 as acceptable and yet a G550/Global as potentially unacceptable. I guess rules are rules....:mad:

Odd that EK would view a CRJ 200/700 as acceptable and yet a G550/Global as potentially unacceptable. I guess rules are rules....:mad:
This is very frustrating and it is not only EK, this is pretty much the way it is with every airline job abroad I have come across. I'll give you an example, I have a good friend of mine for over 30 years, this guys and I have flown together at different stages over the years, great pilot, he flies a G6 now all over the world with a financial company out of Florida, he also has 767 F/O time but short of the minimum airline time required for this job, I can't get him an interview for an F/O position here but guys who are flying domestically in a regional do qualify, this might not make sense to you nor I but it is not us it has to make sense to.

What's life like in Dubai, I hear weird stories like couples kissing on the beach and being approached by police moments later, or one will be standing in line at a store when some white robed fella and his entourage cut you in line as if you weren't there? Again, second hand info just hear the culture is much different, and not in a good way

Latest resources

Back