• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wages for flying skydivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know about paying for training, but many DZ's charge for an observer to ride in the right seat, regardless of any "time building" that might be going on. If a skydiver wants to sit in the right seat just to see what it's like, he or she pays for a jump ticket and then sits in the seat. If someone who isn't sure about jumping wants to go watch skydivers go out the door, he or she buys a jump ticket just like everybody else, and then rides up and down in the right seat.

This differs somewhat from the traditional "PFT" efforts; the person in the right seat becomes nothing more than a paying passenger.

That said, a pilot who shows up on my door step who has had to pay to get time flying skydivers will retreat in shame; I won't be able to listen to him because I'll be on the floor laughing too hard.

You did what???????????????????????????? Good one. Did you hear the one about the two nuns and a donkey...

That said, a pilot who shows up on my door step who has had to pay to get time flying skydivers will retreat in shame; I won't be able to listen to him because I'll be on the floor laughing too hard.

IMO, if you are paying to get into a jump plane, you by God better be jumping! When I fly the jump plane, observers are not allowed. If there is anybody in the right seat, they are a pilot in training or a licensed jumper. No students. No observers. I do not want the responsibility of having to worry about an observer if the brown stuff hits the blowing device. Everybody in my airplane wears a rig except tandem students of course. They are the instructors responsibility.

A very experienced jumper recently died when he struck the tail after exiting a King Air. He never got a canopy out, but it is suspected he died when his head hit the tail. He was in the first group out. Imagine what would have happened if he had taken the tail off the airplane.

Anybody that is a jump pilot, or considering being one, wear a rig. Always. If the DZ tells you their pilots don't wear rigs, go elsewhere. Get instruction on how to use it. Have an FAA certified parachute rigger show you how to determine whether the system is in date or not, and how to do a "pre flight" on the rig. I NEVER get in a jump plane without a rig on, regardless of type or what I'm doing. I wear my sport rig while flying because it's more comfortable, but I recommend that pilots that are not jumpers wear only pilot emergency rigs(one canopy, one handle). No complicated procedures. Clear and pull.

I am one lucky man

I get $7.00 per load from the time I show up till the time I go home. On a good weekend you can usually fly 20-30 loads. The plane is in great shape and the DZ is very safe.
I always wear a parachute and one of these days I am going to leave the plane and use it.
This DZ in the northeast is looking for a pilot. I can no longer fly for them except on a very limited basis due to another job. send me a message if you are in the Northern New England area and I will give you more details.

Hopefully the one and only time in my life I will see a naked man in a Cessna 182.

I can't believe anybody who flies skydivers would be shocked by nude loads. Or wouldn't have flown plenty of nude loads. It is skydiving, after all. :cool:

DZ dayz

I got $10/hr & $5/load at the two places I worked. About average. I only had one naked jump though, and all I got to see was 3 hairy butt cracks! Bleeech. Plus I can't imagine how buck naked jumpers could smell worse than flatulent ones on that loooong climb to altitude on a hot summer day.....Now that smells like nasty arse!!!! :eek:

Comair may look down upon diver driving but apparently AWAC does not. We have an RJ captain that was hired from Skydive Chicago a few years ago. Apparently twin engine turbine time flying jumpers isn't useless after all. You may not be building x-country time, instrument time (not loggable at least), or dual given time...but you are building judgement at an accelerated pace. I will put my vote in for instructing though. Typically the pilots with an instructing background are better versed in regulations and general book knowledge. Flying jumpers is not for everybody. It helps to be very outgoing and not be perturbed by extreme amounts of flatulence. I'm not a victim though...I tend to pack my own "ammunition"...best of all, I control the opening of any doors or windows;)

Deland, FL

For what it is worth, I was out at Deland, FL today. DED boast something to the effect it is the parachuting training capital of the world. It was non stop jumping.
The outfit utilized a twin turbo Otter and a twin turbo box (Shorts?). Those people flying were hustling!
My buddy inquired about what qualifications and hours it takes to fly for this place. Someone in the office stated their folks average 10,000 hours. I didn't believe him but I've seen stranger things.

I flew for a small outfit called "Skydive the Farm" out in Nunn Colorado just east of Greeley a few years ago. I usually let them pay me in beer. Skydivers are a blast to hang out with and I too flew my share of nude sunset loads. Man those were the days...........wish I could go back sometimes

I jumped at DeLand a year ago. When they say skydive capitol, they're not kidding. Most of the major developments in parachute technology have come out of there, or that area over the years. Many new ones are still coming out of there with Jump Shack, Performance Designs, and The (uninsured) Relative Workshop. Some big names who have contributed a lot to the industry are there. What a great place.

If they say they're using 10,000' hour pilots, believe it. Most of the big DZ's don't use time builders. They fly a lot, do a lot of team rotations, and their people stay on.

I just got back from the DZ. We have but one Caravan. The driver is a lifer, and fits the position perfectly. No time builders out there, either.

Most every paycheck I had flying jumpers and packing parachutes, and doing aircraft maintenance for DZ's, was in jumps. If they'd paid money, I'd just have to pay tax, and then the rest would go back into jumps. Seems a perfectly good waste of jump money to spend it on tax, doesn't it?

Latest resources

Back