Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
Long story short: had strabismus, had surgery, strabismus gone, good visual accuity, decided I wanted to go into the Navy or Air Force, took DODMERB physical, failed depth perception test, have 4 diopters of esotropia, life sucks. Reading about this online, I came upon this thing called "vision therapy," in which you go in to an opthalmologist 2 times a week for 40 minutes at a time and do certain exercises on special eye equipment. It's supposed to get your eyes working together properly and precisely and, most importantly, it improves depth perception. Is it too good to be true? Anyone else know anything about this? Personal experiences? Opinions? Advice? Anything that will help me pass the vision part of the Flight Class 1 (is that what it's called) will help. I'm desperate...thanks.

For my flight physical for the Navy, I had 10/35 (on a good day). My friend's girlfriend was into holistic remidies, and suggested something she called vision therapy. I did not go to a doctor, but found books on the subject. There was something she gave me that was called a focus wheel (or something close to that). If you stared at it, it was supposed to make the muscles in the eye that was not focusing properly learn to focus manually. I also researched certain foods and remadies that were supposed to help my specific problem (nearsightedness).

I know that some of you may not believe in such a nonscientific approach to factual medical conditions, but I passed my vision test(s), and have been flying for the Navy for 7 years since. It may have actually helped my condition, or it maybe the piece of mind that performing the exercises gave me helped my muscles relax and focus properly (a topic of research worth looking into for your problem, in my opinion)- whatever! It worked, and I have not had to stress about the issue for a long time.

Good luck.

As a post script, I still have to fly with glasses, but it is a small sacrifice to make.

Iceman21 said:
any holistic remedies for working on the Isihara (sp?) test?

Yeah, buy them yourself and memorize them. The Ishihara Pseudo-Isochromatic Plates are all the same everywhere. If you go USAF, though, it won't help you when you go to Brooks. They have a completely different color vision test down there now.

Mav

I've only heard it through heresay, but it's supposedly a lot more comprehensive than the Ishihara. When I went through, they didn't have this test. Someone else who's been there recently would have a better grasp on what the new test is like.

Ginko Balboa. It's found in some herbal supplements called "BrightEyes."

Good stuff those pills. Only herbal supplement I've ever taken. As always, consult a real doctor about supplementing your diet.

Latest resources

Back