• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America 2Q loss $31.7 million

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not concerned about a media outlet that thinks we need to restructure. We are private. There is only so much they/we know. One instance I heard may be happening is we pay through the roof for airplane leases, but we lease from our investors. Possible, sure?

We have stopped growing (scheduled break in deliveries) and we made a profit quarter 3. It also sounds like the numbers are good for quarter 4. Of course, the next comment will be about putting a year together. I'll take a couple quarters at this point. ;)

I don't know what they are telling you guys, but they only just released the 2nd quarter numbers so I question how you would know they made a 3rd quarter profit. And is that "operating" profit or "actual" profit? Are these hard numbers or management spread rumors?

As for the leases... sure they could be throwing lots of money at their investors. But if they have to borrow from investors, which they clearly are, in order to pay their investors, well, in the long run that's a description of a Ponzi scheme.

I don't know what they are telling you guys, but they only just released the 2nd quarter numbers so I question how you would know they made a 3rd quarter profit. And is that "operating" profit or "actual" profit? Are these hard numbers or management spread rumors?

As for the leases... sure they could be throwing lots of money at their investors. But if they have to borrow from investors, which they clearly are, in order to pay their investors, well, in the long run that's a description of a Ponzi scheme.

What is your deal with Virgin? Did they not hire you or something?

I will roughly summarize what the email said. It basically said we just finished the numbers for quarter 3 and they were good. We made money. Also, our projections say that quarter 4 will be even better. Then it went on to talk about the bloodbath that is 1st quarter at Virgin every year and how they are going to minimize the loss so we can put a profitable year together. That is where the talk from the media is coming from about the pull down of flying and offering leaves. It then says we need you back for quarter two when we go back to our full schedule. It was a side note from a recurrent class where the CEO said hiring pilots again in quarter 1. That would be classified as more of a rumor since I didn't hear it with my own two ears (or see with eyes).

Jet....now you are comparing Virgin with Midwest Express?? Is that a JOKE??? Here's the difference, we have a visionairy "BILLIONAIRE" who knows what it will take and how to get it there...hence the profitable 3rd quarter with the 4th to follow.

Have a nice day! ;)

Be carefull there, your {visionairy "BILLIONAIRE" who knows what it will take and how to get it there} is not without fault. He has had many ventures fail.

Virgin Cola
Virgin Vines
Virgin Vodka
Virgin Energy Shot
Virgin Ooze
Virgin Brides
Virgin Vie
Virgin Clothing
Virgin Cars
Virgin Ware
Virgin Megastore
Virgin Flowers
Virgin Pulse
Virgin Digital
Virgin Express
Virgin Charter
Virgin Student

All were started with HUGE fan fair, lost tons of money, then were sold off or shut down.

Be carefull there, your {visionairy "BILLIONAIRE" who knows what it will take and how to get it there} is not without fault. He has had many ventures fail.

Virgin Cola
Virgin Vines
Virgin Vodka
Virgin Energy Shot
Virgin Ooze
Virgin Brides
Virgin Vie
Virgin Clothing
Virgin Cars
Virgin Ware
Virgin Megastore
Virgin Flowers
Virgin Pulse
Virgin Digital
Virgin Express
Virgin Charter
Virgin Student

All were started with HUGE fan fair, lost tons of money, then were sold off or shut down.

Do not forget. Virgin Kool-aid :laugh:

Virgin Cola
Virgin Vines
Virgin Vodka
Virgin Energy Shot
Virgin Ooze
Virgin Brides
Virgin Vie
Virgin Clothing
Virgin Cars
Virgin Ware
Virgin Megastore
Virgin Flowers
Virgin Pulse
Virgin Digital
Virgin Express
Virgin Charter
Virgin Student

The Virgin Group consists of over 400 companies, so with your 17 listed that's a failure rate of about 5% (rounded up even)....

Jet....now you are comparing Virgin with Midwest Express?? Is that a JOKE??? Here's the difference, we have a visionairy "BILLIONAIRE" who knows what it will take and how to get it there...hence the profitable 3rd quarter with the 4th to follow.

Have a nice day! ;)

Oh brother...

SWA pay rates only became industry leading after the legacy bankruptcies post 9/11...

the proverbial ugly girl at the end of the bar, after a long night of drinking...

I will roughly summarize what the email said. It basically said we just finished the numbers for quarter 3 and they were good. We made money. Also, our projections say that quarter 4 will be even better. Then it went on to talk about the bloodbath that is 1st quarter at Virgin every year and how they are going to minimize the loss so we can put a profitable year together. That is where the talk from the media is coming from about the pull down of flying and offering leaves. It then says we need you back for quarter two when we go back to our full schedule. It was a side note from a recurrent class where the CEO said hiring pilots again in quarter 1. That would be classified as more of a rumor since I didn't hear it with my own two ears (or see with eyes).

Made money?

Operational profit or net profit.

I suspect VA may have produced a Gross Profit but did NOT "make money" net the expense for capital equipment (interest).

We'll see.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back