• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Vietnam Airlines A320 contracts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 10% pay cut was part of the then Chief Pilot's plan to better the conditions for VN nationals, at a year end party in 2008, he announced that he would double the VN salaries and reduce the expat salaries.

He pretty much made good on his promise, increasing VN salaries and deducting a previously received 2% increase given to expats for a six month period, on top of that he announced that all NEW crews would start at 10% less pay for the first year, pay then goes to the normal level, this has not changed.

All crews are initially hired on the 6/2 scheme and later you can request something else. Don't think the 10% reduction had anything to do with any start up since they didn't exist at that time, also I'm not really sure Air Mekong has any effect on the contract industry since they are not contractors.

Real contractors generally have no fall back plan, they are out there on their own, not the case with Air Mekong.

Cheers, SAO

Last edited:
I'm not surprised one bit that they are trying to pull that ridiculous stunt after the "Air Mekscum" pilots demonstrated that there are pilots in the US willing to undercut the market by an outstanding 40% !!!!! :puke:

You know the post you are commenting on is over two years old right??

You guys are dreaming if you don't think that "Air Mekscum" casts a very negative trend, let me know what you think when you see them flying the same A320 you are flying for 40% less of the going rate and then tell me how is not going to affect you

Dumb, not sure why you feel this way, the pay they are on now isn't even that low, so if they start operating the A320, I really doubt they would be any where near your estimate, I believe new captains at Vietnam Airlines start at 10.6 / mos for the first year.

And again, they are not contractors.

Dumb, not sure why you feel this way, the pay they are on now isn't even that low, so if they start operating the A320, I really doubt they would be any where near your estimate, I believe new captains at Vietnam Airlines start at 10.6 / mos for the first year.

And again, they are not contractors.

They aren't contractors? Locals are the only ones that are NOT contractors.....and CPTs earn 3K a month so where do you get such "accurate information"?!

The contractors also get payed at a reduced rate the first year due to the precident set by Rishworth and DPI. (10% less).

I thought they were ASA pilots? Anyway your other facts are wrong too, the pay decrease is straight from VNA, but what would I know...

I thought they were ASA pilots? Anyway your other facts are wrong too, the pay decrease is straight from VNA, but what would I know...

I thought the thread was about A320 Vietnam Airline contracts - I assume you are talking about Air Mekong......

Don't the Air Mekong pilots have a guaranteed job waiting for them back in the states when they finish their contract, with no loss of seniority? I think that's a huge value that isn't put on the price tag of their contract.

To clear things up, yes this thread is about the Vietnam Airlines A320 contract, the good pay and nice place to live contract that is paying approximately $10.6K per month on the 6/2 schedule and goes up 10% after completion of the first year.

IMHO the Air Mekong drivers have NO impact on Vietnam Airlines expat salaries, Air Mekong pilots are not contractors, they are employed by ASA or Sky West?

Pilots employed by Air Mekong are on a Leave of Absence from Atlantic Southeast Airlines. They continue to accrue seniority at Atlantic Southeast and have a job waiting for them whenever they return, in accordance with the CBA and LOAs.

Latest resources

Back