"VFR on top" clearance. . .

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SilverFlyer

. . . and cloud minimums. Flying in Socal I often obtain a VFR on top clearance so that I can fly up through the marine layer and carry on VFR. My question is, before cancelling IFR don't I have to be 1,000 feet above the cloud layer? I'm usually asked to report the tops, but once I do I'm asked if I would like to cancel IFR. If I do isn't this breaking regs?

SilverFlyer said:
. . . I'm usually asked to report the tops, but once I do I'm asked if I would like to cancel IFR. If I do isn't this breaking regs?

Probably. So don't do it.

It's not like you have to be spring-loaded to report the tops or cancel. Wait till you reach or climb through a legal altitude, then report what the tops were and cancel IFR. One transmission; simple.

Two different things

There are two different operations:

1) VFR-on-top

2) VFR over the top.

The first one is an IFR clearance where you must maintain VFR cloud clearances.

The second one is a VFR operation where you must maintain VFR cloud clearances.

You can report the tops when you break out but hang on to your IFR clearance until you're in VFR conditions by advising ATC you're unable VFR at this time and would like to remain IFR.

My understanding has always been that if you are filed VFR on top you are still on a IFR plan just operating at VFR altitudes and rules, thus I never understood the point to it was.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to file, climb up, and then cancel when VFR as opposed to being filed VFR on top (why cancel in the first place considering you get direct almost anywhere with a GPS now anyways)?

Flexibility

AC560 said:
My understanding has always been that if you are filed VFR on top you are still on a IFR plan just operating at VFR altitudes and rules, thus I never understood the point to it was.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to file, climb up, and then cancel when VFR as opposed to being filed VFR on top (why cancel in the first place considering you get direct almost anywhere with a GPS now anyways)?

Not every corner of the nation is glowing with radar coverage and saturated with VOR coverage.

Sometimes you want the flexibility of flying VFR with the ability to remain IFR. It's the best of both worlds.

81Horse said:
It's not like you have to be spring-loaded to report the tops or cancel. Wait till you reach or climb through a legal altitude, then report what the tops were and cancel IFR. One transmission; simple.

Now why didn't I think of that??? My take has been to report as soon as I break through, but waiting just makes sense. Thanks all for the replies.

SilverFlyer said:
Now why didn't I think of that??? My take has been to report as soon as I break through, but waiting just makes sense. Thanks all for the replies.
Remember, controllers are like mechanics (no offense intended to either, btw)...The requirements of Part 91 aren't necessarily what they're thinking about. It's your responsibility as PIC to maintain legality, which obviously you're thinking about by posting this question ;)

Fly safe!

David

mar said:
Not every corner of the nation is glowing with radar coverage and saturated with VOR coverage.

Sometimes you want the flexibility of flying VFR with the ability to remain IFR. It's the best of both worlds.

If you are VFR on top how are you going to navigate with no VOR? Plus I thought once you accept a VFR on top clearance you could no longer fly in IMC conditions so you really aren't IFR persay. I just really don't understand the benefit, seems it would be better to either stay IFR or cancel completely and refile if needed to get down.

AC560 said:
If you are VFR on top how are you going to navigate with no VOR? Plus I thought once you accept a VFR on top clearance you could no longer fly in IMC conditions so you really aren't IFR persay. I just really don't understand the benefit, seems it would be better to either stay IFR or cancel completely and refile if needed to get down.

How am I going to navigate without a VOR? Well, there's always GPS, NDBs, LORAN, ded reckoning, pilotage (ok, a stretch in this situation), and celestial navigation. I might have forgotten something. The point is there are pleanty of ways to do it.

One reason I might go VFR on top is that there is no airway between A and B that gives me a relatively straight course. Let's assume I'm in an area with reduced radar coverage. ATC is most likely not going to give me a random route in this situation. By going VFR on top, I've relieved them of the responsibility to separate me and I can now go direct by one of the methods I listed above.

Why don't I cancel and just refile? Sure, I could do that, but now I have to call flight service and file a second flight plan or try to work it out with the center controller, which he may or may not have time for. By going VFR on top all I have to tell him is I'm ready to go IFR again and I'm back in the system with one radio call instead of having a conversation or giving a 30 second radio call with all my flight plan information.

AC560 said:

As mar said, it's a matter of flexibility. Most of the time under Part 121, you are required to be IFR, so cancelling is not an option, usually. One example. you are descending to a non-radar destination on a VFR day. Another IFR plane has already departed, headed toward you. ATC will assign altitude restrictions to both plans until passage is assured, usually by DME reports. Now, if you are cleared "vfr on top", you may descend at your discretion, and you are not given altitude restrictions which conflict with your plan for descending into the airport.

Another advantage is that under Part 121 (but interestingly, not under part 91 or 135) you may descend below the MEA on a "VFR on Top" clearence. AN example of where this is useful is coming into Anchorage eastbound on V319, the MEA is 12,000 until 50 west of ANC, even though the mountains are *well* behind you. (WEstbound you may cross 50 west of ANC at 8100 headed *toward* the mountains, but easbound away from the mountains, they keep you at 12K, go figure) Anyway, it's very difficult to lose 12,000 ft in 50 nm in hte DC-6 and still observe all your limitations and proper engine management, especially with a tailwind. However, if you're VFR on Top, you can start your descent from 12K much earlier, and make it easier on the engines.

Latest resources

Back