Verdict is in..Telex 750 vs Bose X

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IFLYASA

Since leaving the Brasilia and going to the RJ, I decided that I didn't want to use the Bose anymore and to try a much smaller headset. The Telex 750's seem to be a popular choice from lots of RJ pilots. Therefore I decided to buy a pair and give it a try(not to mention having more space in my flight bag).

Now I have had the Bose since being a fligh instructor and have put around 3800 hours in them and have really gotten used to them. The only downside is if you wear thick sunglasses, it tends to bother the tops of my ears, just as any other passive headset would.

I tried the Telex's yesterday on a trip. They felt great and my sunglass problem was solved. Here's the problem. Unless you wear earplugs (which I hate), there is no noise reduction. It's as if you are not wearing headsets at all. I'm new to the CRJ but it is a bit loud, especially at 290 knots+. Also, my voice sounds like it's in a tube when I speak. That's annoying. Plus I could never hear my F/O transmit out. I constantly adjusted the audio panel but could never find the right combination. So I continued to use them this morning, flying a different aircraft...

They were still loud, sounded like Iwas talking in a tube, and I couldn't hardly hear my F/O transmit. Halway during my trip, I pulled my Bose back out (not even using ANR), and it was so great. Quite, and I could understand every word. I can never give up these headsets. I let my F/O try both pairs and he agreed with what I described.

Now maybe I have been spoiled by the Bose. The Telex's are a great pair of headsets. Alot of pilots love the them. I guess it's just a matter of what you are used too. In my case, I'm sticking my my good ole Bose X's...

Bose X

You got it man. I had the Telex for 2 1/2 years and wore the ear plugs in the RJ. It got down right painful after a while wearing those ear plugs all day. I finally bought the Bose seven months ago and I will never go back.

However, Bose's customer service leaves something to be desired. The first pair they shipped were defective, the right ear piece was completely dead. Their customer service said it was me and that I needed tech support. So after arguing for 15+ minutes they relented and sent me a new pair. Kind of upsetting after spending over a grand on a head clamp, but after all that the head set was well worth the trouble. I also received confirmation later that the headset was indeed defective.

Does anybody have any experience with Sennheiser or the lightweight cupped Telex headsets? The Sennheisers seem to be a very well made headset. Also if your an ALPA member you get a really good discount on Sennhiesers through the ALPA Shopping Mall link on the the home page website.

Last edited:
Headsets

I use the Sennheiser (sp?) noise reduction headset in the 60 and love it. I think they are pretty expensive. The portable unit has a battery pack that holds the 2 double A batteries to run the noise reduction. This would be a little "clunky" for an airline pilot to carry from aircraft to aircraft.

Telex 750's

Couple of tricks I learned w/ the 750's.....

To solve the "not being able to hear your FO:" There is an adjustment screw on one of the back sides of the earpieces. You have to play w/ it to get the right sound level output for the RJ. Be very careful because if you break the screw you’re screwed...

For the ear plug dilemma... I bought some covers from Radio Shack ($5/each) that are meant for telephone earpieces that you put over the existing covers on the 750's. They create a space big enough to allow the earplugs to stick out so that it doesn't "squeeze" your head all day.

Hope that helps you out.... I love my 750's they are light and keep the doo looking good... (I don't have much hair...:)

Shafted

I cant understand why people wear earplugs in the RJ. Of course ear clamp type headsets are going to be quiter (D&C,Bose, etc), but half the time most guys fly with the headsets off on long trips anyway. Maybe Im deaf already, but I think the cockpit is quiet. It seems that most of the guys coming over from the EMB are the ones wearing the earplugs.

for the EMB-

I"ve tried a bunch of different ones 'cause I didn't want to spend the money on the Bose. The Sein's were nice, but hurt, like the D/C's, after 2 hours... spend the money on the Bose. interest free payment of under $100 month thru the bose web site. plus you won't believe how music sounds in the Bose....they are true "full range" and rock!

you wanabee's with the telex's kill me...you don't look cool...take out the earplugs...lol. If you want to be cool, get the Panther C.A.T's.

spend the money you cheap bastards, you'll wear them all day, for half a month, (3/4 month at mesa..lol), for many years to come...plus you can write them off.

B

From what I understand, the power comes from the mike itself to reduce the noise. Therefore it only works with the "hot mike", hence when you are talking or just leave the hot mike on. Otherwise, like in most 121 operators, you turn the hot mike off while not talking. In this case, there is not benefit.

IFLYASA,

I would stick with the Bose. I use the Sennheiser ANRs and love them. I got rid of my 750s a year ago and don't regret it.

701EV

Latest resources

Back