Van's RV-8..I want one

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

oilcanbland

Saw one out at the airport the other day. Man, I'm hooked. Awesome little machines. I can't wait to get one some day. I was never really into the homebuilt thing, until I saw that one. All I have been doing lately is looking up info about RVs on the web. I have a few questions for any of you who have built an RV or any homebuilt.

How long did it take to build yours?
How much money did you put into it?
What kind of procedures, testing, inspections, etc. do you have to go through from the FAA before you can fly it?
How do you make your POH?
Do you think it would be possible to have an RV modified to hold a modified 400hp engine put into. (Like Jim LeRoy).

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

oilcanbland said:
Saw one out at the airport the other day. Man, I'm hooked. Awesome little machines. I can't wait to get one some day. I was never really into the homebuilt thing, until I saw that one. All I have been doing lately is looking up info about RVs on the web. I have a few questions for any of you who have built an RV or any homebuilt.

What kind of procedures, testing, inspections, etc. do you have to go through from the FAA before you can fly it?
Do you think it would be possible to have an RV modified to hold a modified 400hp engine put into. (Like Jim LeRoy).

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Usually takes 2 1/2 to three years. Some go 10 to 12.

$70,000 so far (RV6A) --- New O360 180HP & Hartzell C/S prop

You can have periodic EAA inspections if you'd like. The FAA examination is when completed & ready to fly. Usually a 25 hr. flight test period for certified engine & prop. 40 hrs. otherwise. Flight test time will be in a limited area such as a triangle between three airports.

Anything is possible engine wise, but not recommended without major structure changes. Also check out Harmon Rockets & F1's for slick looking airplanes that were originally based on RV's.

oilcanbland said:
Do you think it would be possible to have an RV modified to hold a modified 400hp engine put into. (Like Jim LeRoy)
My RV-8 is still in the garage, but it's a QB, so I'm hoping to have it done in another year, maybe year and a half. Wings are just about done, along with the fuselage interior pieces... next comes the hard part; systems. Brake/fuel lines and electrics. Scary...

As far as $$, I'm planning on keeping it simple, basic and light, no fancy autopilot or glass panel, no vacuum system, no gyros. Bought a used (O-360) engine and a new CS prop. My target is around $55,000 or so... plus or minus. Probably a bit plus.

POH? There's a few RV POHs posted here and there, I figure I'll get a copy and modify it to fit my machine. I've seen some guys go quite overboard with their POHs, like it's a King Air or something.

As for mounting big engines, it's generally not a good idea, and Van's strongly recommends against anything bigger than a 200 hp Lyc IO-360. Some guys are tuning their IO-360s to up around 230 hp, and there's a guy with a 220 hp Franklin on the nose of an -8. The Harmon Rockets are an RV-4 derivative and they usually have a Lyc O-540, 250 hp out front. Seems to be quite enough... 400 hp would be overkill I'm sure. Just an opinion of course, I think my carbureted 180 hp O-360 will do just fine. It'll be lighter than a big engine too...

When the time comes, do yourself a favor and get a Quick Build kit. Saves a huge amount of time for not a lot of extra money. I haven't yet flown an -8, just a factory demo in their RV-7A and a couple of rides in a -6A and a -4... what a blast. Awesome, fun flying little airplanes; fly one and you'll throw rocks at Cessnas and Pipers. Since I was a civilian puke and never flew in the military, I figure this'll be my chance to fly my own little fighter plane. Must be why so many RV-4s and -8s are painted up like P-51s...

Last edited:
Consider this....

I too wanted an RV-8 until I (really my wife) determined it would "be a financial burden on the family". So I (really my wife) ran the numbers and determined I/we could afford an RV-4. Yippi............... Almost the same performance depending on engine/prop combo, can't carry as much baggage though, cockpit is a bit smaller but it's quite a bit cheaper. Ballpark price for a used/flying VFR/GPS RV-4 is @ 45K............and it looks similar to an RV-8 if that matters...........have fun.

I''m saving for one next spring - can't wait, but I gotz to since I/we have a baby due real soon ------------ MY toy will have to wait to early next year!

Since I have a wife that likes to fly with me, and a three year old son that has also discovered that flying is fun, I think I'm aiming for an RV-10 to carry the clan around.

Now all I have to do is get out of this furloughed/unemployed/first-year-probationary-pay cycle so I can pay for the dang thing! Until then, it's only an information packet sitting around the coffee table and a big empty space in the garage. :(

HAL

Awesome

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I wish I was older and could afford one of these things now. I can't wait to start building my own. Sounds like a blast. I think it would be awesome to build an -8 with IFR instruments and a 200hp engine. That would suit all my needs. Take me and the wife cross-countryin around the U.S., and some aerobatics, every now and then. Maybe that 400hp bulldog engine is a little out of reach. Oh well, I can't wait.

Brandon

The RV8 is a marvelous machine.

I just did the first and second test flights on one here in B.C. and found it to be everything that people had claimed it to be.

The owner has $180.000 Canadian invested in it, factory new IO360 and a three blade C. S. MT prop.

Great airplane.

Lead Sled said:
What was the deal a few years back when the wing failed?
Although the exact accident sequence wasn't witnessed from the ground, as observers were quite a distance away, and for whatever reason, it's as though one of the dual sticks was quickly pulled back which far exceeded the planes tested load of 9 positive G's. Until then, the airplane was in level flight.

The wing spar snapped immediately with no signs of former stress. The airplane then rotated around it's horizontal axis to the ground. This was a "sales" flight for a prospective buyer ( licensed pilot) who was in the back seat.

In co-operation with the FAA, the wing design was again heavily tested past the 9 G limit which is 150% of the stated design limits.

I've flown with the pilot before in Van's RV6A demo, as well as seen the ill fated plane several times, so naturally it was a bit up-setting.....................but we go on.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back