Va & Altitude

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar said:
On the other hand, I think you're confusing some terms.

Limit Load Factor and Ultimate Load Factor are two completely different things. LLF is "just" a limitation. ULF is also a limitation but you'll probably die.
Sorry about that, I guess it's the computer science major from my past life coming out. When I wrote that ultimate load = limit load * 1.5, the asterisk means "multiplied by." I sometimes forget that that isn't widely recognized by non computer geeks.

And to clarify, that shouldn't be "equals" but "at least." Many unlimited-level aerobatic planes are rated to something like 10G (since that's all they'd realistically see) but have had the wings tested to 20G or more.

I really don't understand your use of the term "available g-force". I've never studied that.
It's simply how much G you are able to pull at a given speed. At Vs, it's 1G. At Va, it's 3.8G (for Normal category) etc.

To sum it up for tonight I'll say, thanks for the corrections but I really should've known better than to tackle aerodynamics on a Sun night.

Ciao.
Well then please come out and play whenever you feel up for it, I am always in the mood ;) (Espcially when procrastinating on doing more important stuff, like writing the term paper due in 14 hours.... argh)

G'night.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back