Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

surplus1

USAF Drugging Pilots?

This evening on the ABC program 20/20 I watched in total awe a segment that reveals that the USAF has been and is feeding our combat pilots amphetamines. Although there is no scientific evidence to support it, the USAF claims this drug, which carries the street name of "Speed", combats fatigue.

According to the report, if these pilots decline to take the pills they are banned from flying combat missions. The Air Force used a General Officer to defend its position and stated that it will continue to give the pills to pilots and require their use.

To the best of my knowledge, amphetamines are a Class II drug which the DEA places in the same category as Cocaine. Additionally, amphetimines are known to be highly addictive.

Some of these pilots are on military leave from the scheduled airlines, where the discovery of the use of this drug would result in loss of license and a permanent ban from commercial flying.

I am no less than appaled by this revelation. What do the rest of you think?

Last edited:
Wow! Missed that one. Great that they can be awake for three days at a time but...watch out for the imaginary bogeys, or the bogey-man. Heh. Amphetamines produce extreme paranoia. They'll be firing on each other in no time if that's actually true.

Was the evidence fairly convincing? The media does love a story...

172driver said:
Wow! Missed that one. Great that they can be awake for three days at a time but...watch out for the imaginary bogeys, or the bogey-man. Heh. Amphetamines produce extreme paranoia. They'll be firing on each other in no time if that's actually true.

Was the evidence fairly convincing? The media does love a story...

Ironically, two of the pilots that took the pills were on the program. They are currently being charged with manslaughter for killing 4 Canadians in a friendly fire incident in Afghanistan. One of them is a United pilot (in his civilian job).

It was totally convincing. The Air Force General assigned to "defend" the practice was on the program, in full uniform.

Last edited:
Surplus,
Did the program give any indication as to which amphetamine was being administered? It may seem like splitting hairs however, there is a difference between something like Benzedrine & Ephedrine.

I dont think thats a startling revelation. In Chuck Yeager's autobiography he talks about formation flights to Europe where they were to take the pills to stay awake. Instead they saved them until they hit the bars and partied all night long.

Early Shuttle Astronauts too

B ack in the days of the first dozen or so shuttle flights, before advances in the study of Space Motion Sickness (SMS) led to modern SMS remedies like Phenergan, shuttle flight crews were issued bottles of Dexedrine to be taken as necessary to counter the effects of SMS during critical phases of flight such as Rentry/Landing. One of their flight surgeons told me the dosage instructions were simple, "Take as many pills as you need to get back to Earth safely."

Another medication commonly used by NASA and the military to prevent air-sickness is Scope-Dex, which as the name implies, is a compund of Scopalomine (same stuff used in the prescription motion sickness patch) and Dexedrine.

There is quite a difference between being offered drugs and being forced to take them to keep your job. Following your logic, flychicaga, we ought to pump all police and soldiers with massive doses of steroids and speed. Whatever enables them to do their job most effectively...that's a slippery slope.

I have to argue that speed is not a performance enhancer. The first time, maybe, but prolonged use will lead to lack of sleep, paranoia, chills, immune system breakdown, etc. If they want to offer the pilots speed for a pick me up every now and then, it's fine with me. I wouldn't want to fly formation with em though.

The story is true. I saw it last night as well as the gun camera footage. You would think these guys would have learned their lesson after what happened in Iraq in '94. Yes, I think these guys should go to jail.

Latest resources

Back