USA Today "being a pilot just ins't what

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I give up. Good Luck to all

Some U furloughed guy is 10 from the bottom and is limiting himself because he doesn't want to give up his seniority? What is he smoking? IF he ever sees a U cockpit again, it will be 10+ years. There are guys with 15+ years of seniority resigning their number.

It is by all means his right to hang on to that number, but he'd better not bet his career on it, and better start looking for work outside of aviation.

SWA / FO

hey Midnight Mike was right on. You can't hear the tone of someone's voice on these Message Boards so one might as well be optimistic and read everything in a helpful tone. Everyone knows it is rough going putting dinner on the table these days. Keep posting your messages because there are a lot of us out there struggling to tread water who want your helpful advice!

Aloha,
Les

SWA/FO RIGHT ON!!!

SWA/FO

I know it is like talking to a brick wall. Some would rather just sit on their heels and want everyone to feel sorry for them. I went through that as a furloughed pilot who is currently doing remodeling (which really sucks). But, I grabbed something right away to pay the bills and while I work my butt off to get back into the air. I am now waiting, still remodeling, for my number in the pool for SWA.

No, it is not easy and these are very trying times, but that is no reason to give up, especially at 35. I am 35 and starting over soon at SWA. Now, I am sure some of you are just going to say "another soon to be SWA pilot backing up his co-worker; fine that is the easy way out to feel more sorry for yourself. Or you can take it as the Kick in the a$$ that you need to get out of your misery and apply to the airlines he mentioned and get back on your feet again.

It is not easy, it is not fun, but life is not fair. Get over it and get on with it.

Oh, and just for the double whammy; my wife, who spent 7 years at TWA/AA is now getting furloughed in May. She is very upset, mad, dejected, pissed off, sad, angry, etc. But, you know what she will be over that and on with our lives real soon. She is already sent several apps. out and gotten some positive responses.

Every one needs the time for grief, but then you have to move on!!!!

Okay, I am off my soap box, feel free to lash out and tear apart everything I said or spelled wrong.

Flyky

corporate side of this

I know this is going to come off as just jealousy talking BUT what I got out of the article, from the prospective of a corporate pilot is that airline pilots are spoiled! My brother in law is a senior guy at Continental and I can tell you for sure that I work 3 times as hard as he does and he makes twice as much money as I do.

Does it not seem possible to you airline guys that part of the problem with all of these airlines is the system itself? I mean how can they justifly a $300 round trip ticket from LA to NYC and then turn around and pay their employees about 3 times what the market will bear?

Did you catch the line in the article that said the pilot and his wife had let their nanny go! He's making big bucks......flying 12 days a month......his wife stays home and they've got a nanny!!! Once again, is it jus me or it something wrong with that picture?

Re: corporate side of this

falconpileit said:

Did you catch the line in the article that said the pilot and his wife had let their nanny go! He's making big bucks......flying 12 days a month......his wife stays home and they've got a nanny!!! Once again, is it jus me or it something wrong with that picture?

I saw another article that portrayed the "woes" of the displaced UAL employees. One of the examples was how a gay couple (FA's)had to sell their boat and the other examples, like the one above, didn't exactly elicit sympathy either.

Maybe I am crazy but I think that the job I have flying for an airline is the best job in the world!!! Lets get real....the days that pilots call bad are like everybody else in the world's good days. We hardly work, and when we do we have fun.

So as to the USA Today article. They should compare the pilot's life to the typical retail, construction, janitorial, teacher, etc. job.

We have it great!!!!

Flyky

You poor thing, pissed off/laid off wife & a F/A, guess you won't be getting lucky tonight!

Wait, there is something I don't get. Historically, there have been jobs that require a lot of education expense, bear a lot of responsibility etc etc, such as doctors, lawyers, architects and pilots.

Do you want some guy in the front seat of your aircraft that is grumpy because he can barely pay rent, eat the right foods, etc etc or do you want someone in the front seat that is not worrying about whether his car is gonna get repo'd and can focus on flying the plane.

There was a thread earlier, and I can't remember if it was on this board or another, regarding that a flight crew earn their pay when the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** hits the fan.

Personally, I'd rather pay a guy/gal lotso bux to make sure that I make it to my destination without crashing and dying.

IMOHO :)

Brian

Rock on SWA/FO

Some people have more stress in their lives than others, but some people choose to add more stress to their lives by making bad decisions such as living beyond their means.

On the other hand there are thousands of folks who prepared themselves well for future careers, made the best choices they were offered, and due to no fault of their own, find themselves in less fortunate situations.

If you took SWA/FO's comments harshly, try reading his posts again and look for the positive things he offered. He and others may be more fortunate than you or I in terms of flying jobs, but IMHO he is simply trying to help folks move on to better places.

And if you think you are so unfortunate, one of my best friends was six rides away from finishing F-15 RTU (training) when he was grounded with diabeties. He was medically discharged from the Air Force, his wife divorced him (one of best things that ever happened to him), and he had to start over never to fly commericially again. He was devasted in 1996. Today he flies single engine Cessnas and Pipers, and has to pay to do it. He has a beautiful wife and an awesome little boy. Last month, he told me he missed flying for the AF and thought about it ever day. Then I asked him if he would trade seeing his wife and kid every day for flying an F-15 knowing he would be away from home five plus months a year. His answer: No way!

Be thankful to God you've had the opportunity to fly and do things millions of folks will never do.

I'm not at SWA, in anyone's pool, nor have I ever flown for any airline. I don't have a full-time job, and if I never fly again, I will simply move on. Flying is a great part of my life, but it doesn't define my life. If SWA/FO offended you instead of encouraging you, just remember we aren't promised anything.

May all of you furloughees find what you're looking for. I've got hundreds of friends in the same boat...some at UAL, DAL, USAir, AA, and the original TWA. This is a tough time. It's much easier if you can smile.

Yahtz

Latest resources

Back