Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetdriver69

High Speed, Low Drag
My son is interested in the army flight warrant officer program. Has flight school changed much since I went through in 83-21? Is there still basic, tactics, Instruments, navigating with maps, NVGs, etc? Thanks.

My son is interested in the army flight warrant officer program. Has flight school changed much since I went through in 83-21? Is there still basic, tactics, Instruments, navigating with maps, NVGs, etc? Thanks.

Yes, it has changed significantly. It is much, much easier than when you and I completed the course :)

I believe every Army Aviator should qualify with PVS-5 full face googles velcroed to your SPH-4, using chem-sticks for cockpit lighting. Oh, and no external IR lighting either. One tube in and one tube out in a AH-1 at 120 kts with only the moon and a one over fifty to guide your way. It'll make a man out of you, by God! Unless of course you're a woman, then - well, it'll still make a man out of you.

By the way, I also graduated in 1983. In retrospec, good times. At the time, not so much.

Latest resources

Back