Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tweaker

BOHICA
_____I would like to hear some pros and cons of each choice of airline, please. Save the East/West rants for another thread please.

_____I am 34. I currently have a job offer but no class date for AAA. ASTAR called last Friday for an interview the following Monday (which I could not make). I will attempt to reschedule.

_____I did not know as much about them until recently. I am still confused a bit by the DHL/ABX/ASTAR relationship. Here are my thoughts.

_____Pros for ASTAR (assuming I get job offer, of course)
- Non-passenger based business model, more stable, more consistently profitable, less drama.
- Pretty impressive pay scale, even for FE
- Impressive retirement (up to 15%)
- Decent schedule (days off, I think night flying will suit me fine)
- I don't mind age/generation of fleet (I like to fly a lot)
- Avoid what I anticipate to be an extremely unpleasant and financially dismal situation with AWA/AAA civil war that will not die for 10 years.

_____Cons of ASTAR position
- Long time as FE (10 yr FE's now, no stick time, lose currency in case of furlough)
- Small pilot group (vulnerable to stagnation/furlough/airline shutdown)
- Planned change to 2 pilot A/C may mean furlough if advertised growth does not take place

_____That's all I've got so far.
Again, save the East/West rants for another thread please. I am familiar with the situation.

HOLY $#!^

Someone needs to call Kohler because they're going to need to mix a $#!^load more porcelain!

I hope to god thats been through photoshop BOYCAPTAIN. Even if it has, that much hail damage is just wrong.

There are several Astar people who have app's in at AAA/AWA, if that tells you anything. I don't know if that will be a good career move for them, but it's something you should consider before making your decision.

Some of your other assumptions are correct as they apply to air cargo in general, but not to Astar. Whatever "growth" there has been in air cargo is mostly International, which is why it presently takes 6 years to make MD-11 Captain at Gemini but 13 years to make 727 Captain at Astar. (Gemini flys a lot of DHL's International freight) You're 34 now, where do you want to be at 40? Senior S/O at Astar, or International wide-body Captain someplace else? If this job doesn't work out, which one will best prepare you for the next one?

Also, the last time I looked, AAA/AWA wasn't "in talks" to have a competitor take over their domestic operations.

"Consistently profitable?" "Less drama?" "Avoiding an unpleasant situation with [a competing carrier]?" Thanks, you've made my day!

_____I would like to hear some pros and cons of each choice of airline, please. Save the East/West rants for another thread please.
You've got a pretty good handle on the pro/con situation Tweaker. I'd love to say come on down and join the party, but things are really in a state of flux here.
Since I don't know the details of your situation, I would say this:

1) Is the second yr pay at ER better than your current position.
2) will you be able to commute (crash pad and such) cost effectively to ILN during your first yr pay status.
3) If things break the way I hope they will ( my personal opinion ) you will still be side ways for at least 5 to 7 yrs. This is a worst case scenario. Can you handle that?

If you can honestly say yes to those three questions, then come here if offered. By the end of the summer DP/DHL should have it's N. American reorganization plan in place and we should have a better view of how we fit into that plan. I would still have a back up plan ( keep swiming in other peoples pools ) in my back pocket if within a year this place is still SNAFU.

There are several Astar people who have app's in at AAA/AWA.

Dan should really explain that comment a little better. There are no F/O's or Captains trying to get hired at AWA or AAA. Most of our S/O's make more money and have more time off then their F/O's. Educate yourself with copies of the different contracts and compare them so you can make a good decision.

HOLY $#!^

Someone needs to call Kohler because they're going to need to mix a $#!^load more porcelain!

I hope to god thats been through photoshop BOYCAPTAIN. Even if it has, that much hail damage is just wrong.

"Hail damage..." Now that's funny. I agree shooter. I couldn't tell if his "smiley" was throwing up because his friend was still a 727 FO or because of his Avatar! Both make me hurl.

dan,
you're back.
did you ever get that alarm clock? i heard wal-mart has them on-sale. i'll even ring you out

where is my 72 hours?????????????

1) Is the second yr pay at ER better than your current position.

ER is ASTAR's two letter ID? It is probably equal since I earn 100 hours pay credit per month, but make only $58 / hour. Current position is one I am NOT going to remain in however.

2) will you be able to commute (crash pad and such) cost effectively to ILN during your first yr pay status.

Do you know if ABX or ASTAR flys into LYH, RIC, ROA, or IAD?

3) If things break the way I hope they will ( my personal opinion ) you will still be side ways for at least 5 to 7 yrs. This is a worst case scenario. Can you handle that?

5-7 years seems just fine, but that doesn't seem to be likely, based on what little I know.

If you can honestly say yes to those three questions, then come here if offered. By the end of the summer DP/DHL should have it's N. American reorganization plan in place and we should have a better view of how we fit into that plan. I would still have a back up plan ( keep swiming in other peoples pools ) in my back pocket if within a year this place is still SNAFU.[/quote]

dan,
you're back.
did you ever get that alarm clock? i heard wal-mart has them on-sale. i'll even ring you out

where is my 72 hours?????????????
Dude...as I've tried to explain to you before, I don't set the number of hours for which you're credited. That's set by contract. (Section 4, para A & B in the last one, I believe)

If you feel you should have been paid "72 hours" and you weren't, take it up with crew scheduling. Better yet, grieve it! Don't believe managers (especially SCABS) who tell you they're changing your work rules in retaliation for something another crewmember did. It's their way of destroying unity within the ranks, and it works only if you let it work.

(Jeesh, you'd think that after 10 years, a guy would know how the system works. No wonder he still hasn't found another job...)

BTW, I think you meant "Where are my 72 hours?" With all the hiring going on, maybe this would be a good time for you to stop worrying about "alarm clocks," people you don't know, and situations about which you have absolutely NO knowledge, and use the time saved to work on your written communication skills. Who knows? You might actually get an offer from one of those airlines to which you've been applying.

Latest resources

Back