• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigred

US Airways to End Pilots' Pension Plan
Thursday January 30, 5:12 pm ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bankrupt US Airways Group Inc. said on Thursday it planned to terminate its pilots' retirement plan and replace it with a leaner pension program.

The airline notified the government that it intends to end the underfunded plan on March 31 and plans to start up another, committing $850 million over the next seven years in contributions to fund it.

US Airways said ending the plan was the only option remaining to resolve the pilots' underfunded pension liability before finalizing its bankruptcy reorganization plan for creditors. Proposed legislative and regulatory solutions have so far not materialized.

The government also has required the company to resolve the pension question one way or another in order to get final approval of a $900 million loan guarantee. That credit support is crucial to the company's reorganization effort.

Termination of the plan requires the approval of the government agency that insures pensions as well as the bankruptcy court.

Last edited:
In some ways, it sounds like CAL in 1983 all over again. Different circumstances but the end result is the same. No matter what was conceeded it was never enough for Frank, he just kept coming back for more and more and more.

If I was a U pilot I would walk over this. And never look back.

ALPA better really take a stand or the potential industry wide ramifications are enormous. Those who feel otherwise are just fooling themselves. Every single airline CEO is just licking their chops to see if they get away with this.

That being said, I'm not holding my breath for ALPA to take any real drastic action. They have become far to impotent over the years.

Last edited:
Word is we are ramping up the strike-preparedness-com. I'd also suggest to those commuting on US via jumpseat don't cut it too close - on time performance may soon start to suffer!

B fund

All this shows the importance of having a B fund, especially for those carriers that do not have one at all.

life is a gamble

My old man spent 16 years as a crewmember on SSBN's. As long as there are Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles around, we're all an episode of friends away from being toast.

Enjoy life as much as you can...roll the dice. Risk all for nothing and if you burn in...don't worry, we'll split your gear.

Not a reliable source, USA Today, but I saw the numbers for the "modified" pension plan and it was staggering.

For example, if a pilot is receiving $50K to $70K now, the "new" fund will let the pilot receive $28K.

The fund is underfunded; the government's insurer of all pension funds is $3B dollars underfunded; it just isn't happening in aviation, it is happening in every other industry also.

The underfunding of American pension funds is one of the biggest problems facing the nation and it isn't receiving the attention it deserves or the help from the Senators it requires.

Not looking to impressive for all of us furloughees either. If the senior guys get 28K, what do you think the guys and gals with 14 years or less are gonna get?

Latest resources

Back