Should US Airways Wholly Owned Get RJ's

• Ohh Hell Yeah!

Votes: 34 63.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Screw the RJ's and the their pilots.

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters
I'm all for one list, one fight. I'm at a US Air Express carrier, but as you can see from the quote below from a US Air mainline guy, they don't want to associate with the "express lower class pilots."

From a US Air mainline pilot,

"As for merging into one single list by date of hire....Not on any of our lives will that ever happen! There is a reason that the interview process to get hired with U (US Air) is a bit different than to get one with an express carrier, it is much more selective! Not sure how I slipped through the cracks but usually it works."

Even my ex-wife didn't insult me like this. This guy is not my "brethren."

I gotta go with JeffG (Hey,Jeff-e-mail me wouldya ? I don't have yer new address).As far as CHQ's PIT flying,it looks like that will go to PSA.

Hi Guys,
This RJ issue seems to always inflame everyone to some extent. Both sides of the issue have valid points, but the basic premise that a so-called "fellow" aviator made in reference to the selection process was particularly arrogant. I can say that because I spent 20-years as an enlisted aircrewman in the military. However, I not only exposed myself to ALL the risk, but for a fraction of the pay and none of the RHIP. To top that off Ididn't even have the ability to control my fate except hollering through the ICS. Please don't get me wrong, I was and am grateful for the opportunity to serve my country, fly in military aircraft and see wonderful exotic places like Somalia at Christmas.
A lot of this whole thing almost seems like class warfare, and I'll bet the airline managers love to see pilots bickering over who gets to fly what for how much. I can tell you one thing thats for certain. Until there is some REAL unity in the pilot profession and not just this "I went thru a more rigorous selection process" Horse****, you'll be lucky to have a job and be able to pay the mortgage.
I guess my patience is at the end when it comes to hearing about the "lifestyle" and that flying is becoming a means to an end for this "type" of airplane driver. It's truly pathetic to listen to.

Regards,

P.S. Not trying to throw flamebait, just expressing my opinion

Well said.

In addition...I was at an Air Inc conference two weeks ago, and there was a US Air FO there facing furlough. Here is a quote from him.

"I hate to fly. I'm just here because I don't want to work, and an airline job is the only place I can think of where I can make a six figure salary for minimal, if any work."

I guess you have to admire his honesty, but...

Coming from a Contract Express carrier to a Wholly Owned Express Carrier (and now a non airways carrier). I can say it really does flow down hill... Mainline has little respect for Wholly owned, wholly owned has disdain for contract carriers...

I feel for the express carrier's, but to a point... Most (ok PSA, is still slightly behind) of the wholly owned's have by far the best pay and good work rules compared to any "regional" regardless of the equipment they fly. This whole $$$ thing and "express lower class pilots." is mostly thier own doing. Let's be real here, wholly owneds should get jets, but they will not compromise 1 inch because then they will not be the on the top anymore. Where else can you fly 200 kts at $25 per hour for a first year fo? Or over $55 per hour for a 3rd year captain. Add to this better than 14 days off and a clause that does not allow junior manning more than 3 times a year?
2 of the wholly owneds have guys with over 25 years who are easily making 100k plus and they work as little as a mainline pilot if not less.

The contract carriers flying the jets are paying thier pilots on average 35% less than the wholly onwneds and I can attest no contract carrier has work rules like the wholly owneds!

So it is a vicious circle, no one wins... Mainline does not want to give up the big paychecks, nor does the wholly owneds, but the contract carriers do and currently they are the ones who are employed and flying the jets... Something the Airways guys should consider... A paycheck is still a paycheck and it better than sitting home waiting for unemployment to run out....

Latest resources

Back