US Airways Pilot Pool and Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nicky! What up??!!

PHX is NOT DEAD. Just another St. Nicky WRONG prediction. What a surprise.

We have some pilots returning from MLA & LOA. I consider it is despicable for the company to not RETURN PHX to the fleet numbers BEFORE we bought US Airways, and continue to hire fresh in the East.

That said, we only have 50 or so that remain furloughed in the west. Of those, I expect 30 or so to return. When we check the schedule we see RED FLAG trips EVERYDAY (while the company says we are fully staffed, RED FLAG means that RSV is being depleted).

Look to see new hires in the West next year sometime (IMHO).

See you in CLT or PHL soon Nicky! I am a great guy to work for, ask anyone.

CB

Cactusboy53, lets assume that US Air merges with American. It would be conceivable that US Air will hire 300 pilots on the east side before a merger with AMR is complete. East hiring may briefly stop while remaining AMR furloughs return.

There may not hiring on the west side prior to the possible merger. US Air reduced west operations/furloughed and maximizes east block hours because pay parity does not exist between East/West.

East and West finally have an opportunity to prosper through a powerful merger. This is the perfect opportunity to move on. Imagine, West pilots (Nic Award or Not) will be retiring on 787s, 777s and a350s—Awesome.

I'll drink to a merged East/West/AMR that can give DAL and UAL a run for their money. :beer:

Cactusboy53, lets assume that US Air merges with American. It would be conceivable that US Air will hire 300 pilots on the east side before a merger with AMR is complete. East hiring may briefly stop while remaining AMR furloughs return.

There may not hiring on the west side prior to the possible merger. US Air reduced west operations/furloughed and maximizes east block hours because pay parity does not exist between East/West.

East and West finally have an opportunity to prosper through a powerful merger. This is the perfect opportunity to move on. Imagine, West pilots (Nic Award or Not) will be retiring on 787s, 777s and a350s—Awesome.

I'll drink to a merged East/West/AMR that can give DAL and UAL a run for their money. :beer:

The inner workings of LCC continue while we await the conclusion of the attempted merge with Americian. The fact is that LCC is and will be interviewing for all bases. Those coming to PHX will be later next year (IMO). Most interviewing is done in PHX, and all indoc is done in PHX.

The merger timeline could go several different ways. The final melding will depend on the TA signed by all parties. We have a current TA that all parties must comply with. PHX is at fleet mins (or quite nearly so), and stays just above block hour mins.

Pay parity could have happened six years ago, that is not on PHX but on the USAPA start-ups & the company. I find it contemptable that the company would choose to hire new pilots vs. adding a few airplanes back to the PHX fleet to return those pilots (that had jobs when AWA holdings acquired AAA), IMO. That is just bad human behavior, especially when management said that no AWA employees would be harmed by this merger.

CB

Nope. PHX is dead there are a bunch of westies furloughed. They will be out for a long time! The east is were the growth is.

Damn straight...usair should forget about markets west of the Mississippi and focus on flying 100-seaters in the northeast within a route-structure the size of Wyoming - it worked so well before right?

Actually it kinda did until this little nugget was uttered.....

[FONT=&quot]“Despite [/FONT][FONT=&quot]USAirways[/FONT][FONT=&quot]’ huge losses, President [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gangwal[/FONT][FONT=&quot] said he is optimistic about the airline’s future. Specifically, he said the 9/11 attacks have allowed the airline to restructure and downsize in ways that would have been impossible otherwise. The attacks allow the airline to invoke [/FONT][FONT=&quot]force majeure[/FONT][FONT=&quot] clauses in its contracts -- a legal term for an uncontrollable event that releases a party from its contractual obligations.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gangwal[/FONT][FONT=&quot] said he expects the changes to be permanent. ‘I don’t want to take advantage of the situation, … but the events of 9/11 have opened certain doors for the company that were pretty much closed before.’”[/FONT]

Yeah....that was gonna be those einsteins Wolf/Gangwal's ultimate "Plan B". Take it down to around 120 planes, a "boutique regional", just the PHL hub and DCA flying - I think Gangwal's quote was something like "this could be the most profitable regional airline in the industry". instead they went out the door (with their $35 million) in the 1st BK.

Thanks for the new info Little Deuce. Will this new bid open the pilot window?

Hey Angry K9, was told today that the class that started yesterday went 6 E190 PHL and 8 A320 DCA but with 5 E190's coming back to us I think you will see some classes going all E190.

Latest resources

Back