• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Report: UPS moves to cancel jet order
By CBS MarketWatch
Last Update: 1:47 AM ET March 1, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) - UPS, hit by a shift in consumer preferences toward less-expensive ground-delivery services, is negotiating with Airbus to cancel more than $1.6 billion in orders for A300-600 aircraft, according to a media report.

The Atlanta-based cargo shipper (UPS: news, chart, profile) recently notified Airbus and engine supplier Pratt & Whitney that it no longer wanted at least 20 of 90 Airbus A300s it ordered in 1998 and 2001, the Wall Street Journal reported in Monday's online edition, citing unnamed people familiar with the situation. Each plane carries a list price of more than $100 million, though big customers such as UPS typically buy multiple planes at lower, undisclosed prices, the Journal said.

Because some of those airplanes have entered early stages of production, UPS was told it could cancel no more than 16, the Journal reported, adding that as of the end of January, UPS had taken delivery of 32 planes. The Journal said one unnamed source reported the UPS orders don't contain provisions for cancellation, raising the possibility that UPS must shift its orders to other types of Airbus models or face stiff penalties.

The shift during the past couple of years to ground deliveries and away from air shipments is a growing problem for UPS and rival FedEx, (FDX: news, chart, profile) which are competing fiercely for market share. Overnight air shipments often are far more lucrative, but the economic slump led some delivery customers to send shipments by ground instead. Last year, UPS's ground deliveries rose 1.5 percent to 10.3 million shipments a day, the Journal reported.

Nope we're not hiring yet.

Not sure what to make of this. We are hurting for airplanes and pilots. Volume is way way up and we're raking in the $$$.

Maybe they are negotiating to reduce the number of the A300's in order to get another Airbus aircraft. A340's and A380's have been on the minds of some to be our long range aircraft of the future. But they have yet made no decisions on that. Maybe that's what they're negotiating now.

If you asked me we should go Boeing. But that's just me. I like a reliable piece of equipment that stays green more than red.

Airbus

I was under the impression the only reason they got the Airbus was so they could get into the Euro market? Rumored that unless they were flying Euro products they would not be locked out of that market. Any truth to that? (wouldn't suprise me if it was true)

The A300 hold more cargo then the 767.

American currently has 34 A300's that IMHO they would love to get rid of. The debate over flt 587 has probably left a bad Airbus taste in AMR mgt's mouth and things are only going to get worse.

AA doesn't move the amounts of mail they use to. The Fedex contract and stiffer post 9/11 requirements have cut down on the cargo. AA is forced to to take a few 777's that they could not defer. They also have around a dozen 767-200's sitting in the desert. Eliminating another fleet type of just 34 aircraft has to be one of the things on AA's wish list.

Browntailguy,

Whatever happend to the crew that tried to take out the tower on a go-around (think it happend in Cologne with an A-300)?

Oh yeah!

I remember that! The UPS Airbus crew that "overrotated" during go@. They were IMC, attempted a recovery (way nose high after disconnecting the autopilot) and popped out of the clouds heading right for the Cologn tower. They oversped the flap/slats and possibly the gear (not sure). but fortunately noone got hurt.

Last edited:
The captain was fireot his jib d but then with help from the union got his job back. The FO was not disciplined.

Latest resources

Back