UPS MD11 domicile question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV80R

Will all SDF MD11 pilots eventually end up in ANC?

If so, why are they putting new-hires on the MD11 in SDF?

Or will they keep an MD11 domicile in SDF as well?

1. I don't think so. At least I haven't heard that.

2. ???? I haven't been paying attention that much.

3. I think so.

???? I haven't been paying attention that much.

I asked because about 3-5 months ago there was a class where all MD11 new-hires got SDF as a domicile; no one said anything about ANC to them so they assume it's more of a "permanent" domicile. I thought though that eventually all MD11 guys will go to ANC?

I'm hearing that "Z" flying has much more domestic trips now and if so MD11 SDF sounds like a great choice for someone who prefers international over domestic. However, I'm thinking there's a "catch" such as eventually beeing displaced to ANC. Any ideas?

UPS has displacement bids all the time. If they have too many in SDF, they'll move them to ANC. The reason new hires are going to SDF is because the IRO positions are going to FO's. Hence why they are reducing the Captains there. The word is that MD-11 SDF will reverse the numbers, ie. 225 FO's and about 160 Capt's. And ANC is to grow to about 200 Capt"s and I figure around 280 FO's or so. They are so short on MD-11 pilots that managers are all over the system. For now the only kinda firm(ish) thing is that ANC will have 250 MD-11 pilots by the end of 2007. There are 10 MD deliveries next year and I'd say they are all going to ANC.

All I know for sure is that a new hire today won't get his/her leather jacket until 03/08!!!!!!!

We are getting brown leather jackets and the company can only make about 50 a month. The order they are making them in is the over 60 guys first and then by seniority so a new hire won't get their jackets until 08.

Latest resources

Back