UPS 727 displacement bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV80R

So were the results what everyone expected? Will there be a new bid out there soon or is that it for the year?

I was very surprised to see so many under 60 engineers left on the DC-8.

The junior capt position went from a DOH of 11/00 to 9/00 so the entire displacement has not effected upgrades that much at all (unless you were the 11/00 hire who lost the left seat because of it.) There were 6 newhire 747 FOs bumped as a result of the 727 guys coming over, but overall I think it was not as bloody as it could have been.

I was very surprised to see so many under 60 engineers left on the DC-8.

I thought they would displace bunch of DC8FEs to make space for over 60 727FEs but no DC8FEs got displaced I believe?

The update seniority list shows 16 under age 60 FEs left on the DC-8 panel. I still do not see them hiring any more FEs though.

I'm thinking they're going to wait to see how many of the over 60 guys are actually going to complete training vs call it quits. I know of a few over 60 guys who went through gs and then bailed before sims on the 72.

I'm thinking they're going to wait to see how many of the over 60 guys are actually going to complete training vs call it quits. I know of a few over 60 guys who went through gs and then bailed before sims on the 72.

Very true. But the 727 FE program was a bear. I'm not saying the Dc-8/747 programs are cakewalks but I doubt anyone fails or bails in training. Then again there are some very old dudes who certainly have better things to do with their golden years.

On another note the oldest guy on the 747 panel is 76 years old!! The amazing part is that he is junior on the airplane.

On another note the oldest guy on the 747 panel is 76 years old!!

That is just freaking sad! UPS needs to get rid of 3-man aircraft to get rid of these people.

I'm thinking they're going to wait to see how many of the over 60 guys are actually going to complete training vs call it quits.

That makes sense, I'm sure some will bail while in training.

On another note the oldest guy on the 747 panel is 76 years old!!

Wow, 76?!
A friend told me that many years ago, mid-80s I believe, there was a United FE who died while doing preflight on his 747. I think they were in Japan (Narita?) and they found him next to the main gear with his flashlight in his hand. The guy had just turned 82 or 84 - I can’t remember.

Latest resources

Back