• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Upgrade times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The good news: If you live in Chicago you WILL get ORD (assuming they are still desparate this time next year for newhires and are continuing to offer choice of domicile during the interview).

More good news: Upgrade time should be around 4 years this time next year.

The bad news: Even with 4 year upgrade times, it won't be 4 years to hold any ORD CA slot. You'll prolly have to fly the SF340 out of DFW for a year as a CA (or you can holdout for ORD EMJ CA for another year or so). Hopefully EMJ CA won't take much more than 5 years to hold this time in about 2 years (it'll probably still be 7 years for jet CA this time next year because 2001 hires should be able to hold it by then -- and again the 2 1/2 year hiring gap post 9/11 means that in a lil over a year, Jet CA upgrade time should drop to around 5 years, maybe less after all 2001 guys get the opportunity to upgrade). What that means is that a newhire hired today will probably be able to hold Jet CA after 5 years.

Some more good news: ORD EMJ CA is the most junior Jet CA seat.

Quicker to hold a line on the ERJ. Pay is the same. Much more variety of destinations/flying on the ERJ. However, when you tell them you want ORD, they don't give you a choice on the equipment. Just the domicile. You'll be on whichever aircraft you get (assuming you bid an all jet domicile) until you upgrade.

I agree with two years. Hiring low time FO's is not as bad as upgrading FO's too soon. Most captains can carry a weak FO, but when an FO has to carry his/her captain, that is a really bad situation.

What you are assuming here is that anyone with 1000 PIC in a 1900 can get hired at the majors. The 1000 pic only allows you to send in your app, it does not mean you will get an a interview or if you get the interview it does not mean you will get the job. meanwhile if you took the Jet job you will upgrade in 1-2 years and if you couldnt get a job you can still expect a descent quality of life. I have friends at those types of airlines and myself worked at an 1900 operator a few years back. Many of the guys that stayed are still there flying the prop ( with crappy pay, schedule, and benefits) with no major jobs. Others have made the lateral move to jet operators after they couldnt go to the majors. It all depends on whats important to you.

I upgraded after one year at SkyWest in the E-120. Flying is pretty simple, we go to the same destination and little to no weather. Upgrade was simple as long as you paid attentionas an FO. Only stress with upgrade is we have an up or out policy, and there is always the chance of being fired. Once on line flying was not anything different than being an FO, But watching new FOs and giving instruction can be difficult. I see no formula for upgrade success, but it does seams the FOs who wait the longest to upgrade have the most problems.

Latest resources

Back