Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sbav8r

I do deny them my essence
Do most regionals ask to see college transcripts or do they just ask to see verification of completion of a degree? Or, will my GPA become a factor in job applications?

Thanks

4 yr degree

They don't care if you have college degree, you may put it on your application, they will not ask for vertification, they may not even ask you if you went to college, because they don't care and it doesn't matter. They are hiring you to fly airplanes and not do something that requires a degree like accounting or marketing.

College degree

I disagree with Pilotyip that they don't care if you have a degree. I believe that a degree gives you an advantage, or at least levels the playing field, because the competition will have degrees. I've read any number of airline hiring profiles. They mentioned that a degree was desirable. Years ago, Kit Darby's Career Pilot magazine featured profiles of new hires. The ones the majors hired had at least some college, if not four-year degrees or better.

I agree with Yip about the degree question coming up during interviews. I had four regional interviews and an Express I cattle call. Not once was I asked about my degree or GPA. Thank G-d for the latter!

Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Allready have the degree, just needed to know if they wanted to see transcripts. Nice to know that they don't.

For jetBlue, I had my degrees listed on my resume. The subect never came up and absolutely no verification was performed. Same with Corporate Airlines in Smyrna, TN.

At jetBlue, I know a few guys that don't even have degrees. They are not, however, new hires. We are now getting all of our folks from places that do require degrees.

JayDub

My airline wanted a copy of my diploma and certified transcripts. A degree was "preferred," but not required.

I know a guy who was quized at his interview as to why he had failed out of an easy course over 10 years ago in college. He re-took it and got an A in it, but they challenged him as to why he put so little effort into it the first time. "How do we know you're gonna' put forth your 'A effort' rather than your 'F effort' in GS with us? He was eventually hired, but his hiring was delayed and he had to use connections to re-interview with the CP. I think he might have answered this one question really badly, b/c they drilled down on him after that, and it took the CP to fix things.
I kid you not. If he hadn't had TONS of connections and recommendations in house I doubt he would have ever gotten the chance to re-interview.

So, the question is rare, but if your GPA is bad enough that you are asking questions about it on this board, then you might want to prepare some sort of answer just in case. You know, your mistakes of youth, spent more time chasing tail then studying, etc.

Anyone ever know of a guy who got to re-interview to save his butt, or a trip to the CP BEFORE he was even hired? What a lucky break! :)

-Boo!

They DO want to see your transcript

I interviewed with two regionals last year that DID want to see my transcripts. In my case, I viewed it as a plus and nothing was mentioned. Bottom line: If you did lousy in college, review the reasons why, how you've changed since then and what you have learned to keep from performing poorly since then. Some sort of documentation of academic improvement coupled with solid reflection on your part regarding what is different about you now vs. then should be all an interviewer needs to hear to be satisfied that you aren't a failure risk.

GPA

88_MALIBU said:
whats considered lousy then? i only got a 3.0..i might chase to much tail
Nothing wrong with a 3.0. My GPA was nothing like that at all - which is why it was a good thing that I wasn't interrogated about it at my interviews. I wouldn't worry about a 3.0.

Latest resources

Back