United's Rhapsody of Blues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetPilot500

For those interested in reading a history of UAL's troubles.

click here >>> United's Rhapsody of Blues

Four Part Series:

Pilot showdown
The legacy of the pilots' strike in 1985 poisoned relations in the company, setting the stage for years of bitterness with management and other United workers.

The ESOP fiasco
An ambitious employee stock ownership plan put the airline's future in the hands of its employees--for better or worse.

Conflicting visions
A parade of CEOs, each eager to make his mark on the company, sped the airline down the path to bankruptcy

Chapter 11 and beyond
Now in bankruptcy, United is trying to find its niche in the post-9/11 airline industry.

Enjoy,
JetPilot500

Last edited:
Falcon Capt.

Hey if your in Denver would you mind going over to the house and check up on the twins? They get lonely when I'm gone too long :D. ;) :p .

Re: Falcon Capt.

rice said:
Hey if your in Denver would you mind going over to the house and check up on the twins? They get lonely when I'm gone too long :D. ;) :p .

I was already there... Boy those two just can't keep up with me! :p ;) :D

Let me guess, you were drinking Coors light too..

Response

In response to a series of articles that recently ran in the Chicago Tribune, Captin Paul Whiteford sent the paper this Letter to the Editor.

Moving United Airlines toward a new beginning
Captain Paul Whiteford, Chairman, United Airlines Master Executive Council, Air Line Pilots Association, International.
24 July 2003
Chicago Tribune

Business school professors in search of a perfect case study in labor bashing should look no further than the backward-looking, four-part "UNITED'S RHAPSODY OF BLUES" (Page 1, July 13-16). It's unfortunate and disappointing that the writers of this series felt the need to lay the lion's share of blame for United Airlines' recent economic woes at labor's feet.
Over the past nine months, the pilots of United Airlines have taken a leadership role in transforming our airline and positioning it for an exit from bankruptcy protection. We have made enormous personal and collective sacrifices and have worked alongside the other United employee groups and management to restore our airline to financial health.

The pilots of United choose to look ahead. Obviously the Chicago Tribune prefers to dwell on the past.
Because of the commitment, dedication and professionalism of the pilots and other employees, United has turned in its best operational performance in history, all under the duress and pressure of Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Instead of highlighting the performance and accomplishments of United pilots under extreme circumstances, your writers chose instead to profile incidents that appear petty on the surface and offer little insight into the overall picture of our airline.

The so-called acrimonious labor-management relations of the past are ancient history and irrelevant to our mission of moving United toward a new beginning. It's unfortunate the writers of the series chose to ignore what's right with United and instead painted a portrait of a few things that went wrong.

Latest resources

Back