What will happen to United?

• Chug on much smaller

Votes: 116 33.0%
  • Tilton will make them stronger than ever

Votes: 30 8.5%
  • Chapter 7

Votes: 206 58.5%

• Total voters
I think they're going to make it. I think U, UA, and DAL are all taking steps to ensure their survival in the changing industry we're in. The bottom line is that only time will tell. We can talk about it until we're blue in the face and getting carpal tunnel syndrome from typing so much (both of which are symptoms familiar to the average flightinfo user, I'm sure:D ), but nobody really knows for sure how this will all turn out.

New United

I personally believe that they will come back at approx 60% of their current size. They have very good market presence which will help them survive. It is the other 40% I worry about.:eek:

As a former United "poolie" I reluctantly say this, "it's over." Without any government assistance, Wall Street's sentiment, UAL creditor anxiousness, and the constant pressures from LCC's, I believe United is doomed. I just feel for all the hard working employees who at one time made United the largest and greatest airline of the free world. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Good luck to all those affected.

Can someone actually give me the "revenue triggers" set up by the banks? I thought united could only lose XXX amount of money each quarter, or it was over--and they would liquidate. With fuel prices at an all time high, and no hedging possibility---it seems like a daunting task. In this terrible economy---the banks would be slammed by their shareholders if they gave up on a clear profit. The $800 million loan is covered by about $1.6 Billion in assets----which equals about $800 million in profits for the banks. Let's hope this war is over soon and the economy lifts quickly.

Bye Bye---General Lee:(

Last edited:
Falcon Capt said:
Wow... lets keep the story straight folks...

it wasn't "4 million gallons of Aviation Fuel" it was "100,000 barrels of unleaded gasoline"

Uh, 100,000 barrels would probably be over 5.0 million gallons, wouldn;t it?

Ty Webb said:
Uh, 100,000 barrels would probably be over 5.0 million gallons, wouldn;t it?

Point was is that is wasn't Aviation fuel... I think there is 42 gallons to a barrel (of petroleum product, not your typical 55 gallon drum)

Folks, UAL has little chance of survival. It's unfortunate... but one less major will help the others in both the short term and long term. I don't like all the employees at UAL being put on the street - I know many of them.

ifly4food said:
Everyone go read the recover plan that's been posted above before you answer..
They seem to have a solid, well researched plan.
If they can actually pull off what they're proposing, I see them coming back a lot smaller and much more profitable.

IFF,

With all due respect, I think that we might have been reading two different presentations! The one I saw was all fluff and no plan, as far as I could see. I hope that I am wrong. Time will tell.

I do wish the people at UAL lots of luck.

FlyDeltasJets said:
IFF,

With all due respect, I think that we might have been reading two different presentations! The one I saw was all fluff and no plan, as far as I could see. I hope that I am wrong. Time will tell.

I do wish the people at UAL lots of luck.

Perhaps we didn't look at the same thing. I was referring to the confidential PP presentation someone posted here last week. It was about 300 pages and detailed the plan for the LCC, concrete plans for concessions from all three unions, and plans for expansion of the role of Express. It hard a lot of hard numbers and some financial figures that I doubt anyone outside of the boardroom has ever seen.

Latest resources

Back