• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Pilot Dies After Inflight Heart Attack

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never heard anything about the min. age for SS being raised to 67? It increases then, but far as I know it's still 62. But if it had been increased to 67 I would say all the more important to allow someone to work till they are 65.

Anyone that thinks lumping any one generation as all good or all bad always misses the fact that their are good people from every generation. Angry unhappy people always define themselves with their opinions more than the people they are throwing stones at.

Your second paragraph: blah, blah, blah.

No surprise, you missed my main point. SS was age 62 for today's retirees, so if the age had stayed 60 they would have waited two years for SS. This guy can't get it until 67. So he is still going to wait 2 years. Do you think it's fair that your generation works 3 years past SS age while he still waits 2 years? (Of course I'm sure you do) What I'm saying is this guy deserves his upgrade so he can be ready to retire. You old guys have had enough relief. You don't reach retirement by simply working longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes I did miss your point. Your saying some guy retires at 65 and he has to wait till he is 67 to start collecting SS?

Yes I did miss your point. Your saying some guy retires at 65 and he has to wait till he is 67 to start collecting SS?

Yes. What solution would you propose? Increase retirement age I'm guessing? How many times do we do that before we reach a point where all captains are very old? Especially the real senior ones? That can't be the answer. Who's going to want to do this job? The profession will look like our current FA at United. You can't do a fun trip until age 75. Let alone get paid for one. It's not going to work.

Flopgut, dude, you can collect SS anytime you want after 62. IF you wait till 67 it will be a little higher is all. But you can start collecting it anytime you want after 62.

So reduced SS is not a problem for everybody else. Got it.

Apples to apples comparison is what I'm talking about. He takes it for two, you guys bank it for 3. You don't see a difference? Unless you're making your point, it's inconsequential?

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out how you think someone has to wait till 67 to collect SS or how you could think that the age 65 rule isn't more fair because it at least allows someone to fly till they can collect SS. Also Medicare for those airlines that don't pay for medical when you retire.
Interesting with the new retirement age 65 it seems like a lot more go out early by choice, 62 is a common age, but the bottom line is, I'm guessing more go out between 60 to 65 then use to go out between 55 to 60. Not only do the younger pilots have DC plans that can't be taken from them and the power of compound interest on their side, but they may benefit from a higher rate of early retirements taken by the 60 to 65 pilots.

Last edited:
Interesting with the new retirement age 65 it seems like a lot more go out early. 62 is a common age, but the bottom line is, I'm guessing more go out between 60 to 65 then use to go out between 55 to 60. Not only do the younger pilots have DC plans that can't be taken from them and the power of compound interest on their side, but they may benefit from a higher rate of early retirements taken by the 60 to 65 pilots.

I have no idea what you're talking about with that statement. We [CAL] have literally almost had more pilots die than retire since 65. Way more pilots left before when the age was 60. Despite all the hype, I haven't witnessed one pilot leave at 62, like so many of them said they wanted and thought was fair at the time.

I'm still trying to figure out how you think someone has to wait till 67 to collect SS or how you could think that the age 65 rule isn't more fair because it at least allows someone to fly till they can collect SS. Also Medicare for those airlines that don't pay for medical when you retire.
Interesting with the new retirement age 65 it seems like a lot more go out early by choice, 62 is a common age, but the bottom line is, I'm guessing more go out between 60 to 65 then use to go out between 55 to 60. Not only do the younger pilots have DC plans that can't be taken from them and the power of compound interest on their side, but they may benefit from a higher rate of early retirements taken by the 60 to 65 pilots.

The power of interest, all 0.0001% apr these days.

I can't speak for CO but at HA my statement stands. You have had a lot a pilots suffer a lot of career trama at CO and spent a long time getting screwed, they made horrible wages in the. 80's and 90's and as I remember they didn't 't get a retirement restarted till the mid 90's. So I guess that makes sense.

Latest resources

Back