United Jet PLUNGES 20,000ft over the Atlantic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mamma

Sounds like the sensationalistic media is at it again! The dreaded "engine out" plunge. Anyway, I colored a little red in to emphasize the sheer terror of this event as told by the reliable media. Oh, bonus question: Anyone know what "dipped like a ferry" means?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Canada-losing-20-000ft-half-way-Atlantic.html

United Airlines jet makes emergency landing after plunging 20,000ft while half-way across the Atlantic

A London-bound passenger plane had to divert to Canada while halfway across the Atlantic after dropping more than 20,000 feet.
Passengers said the aircraft suddenly 'dipped like a ferry' and cabin crew 'ran down the aisles' while the plane spent two hours flying back in the direction it came from.
Lizzie Laming, 22, of Sittingbourne, Kent, said she watched in horror as United Airlines staff leapt into action after United Airlines’ Boeing 757 began losing height.

The aircraft, which set off from Washington DC last night, also turned around and flew two hours back before landing safely this morning at St John’s in Newfoundland, Canada.
Passengers are being taken on to London on other flights.
Ms Laming, who was joined by her friend Ellie Cauldwell, 22, from Bristol, said she had gone to sleep when she was jolted awake by the sudden movement of the plane.

'The plane dropped and it felt like being on a ferry when it goes up and down,' she said.
'Most of the cabin crew were running up the aisles and we were not told anything for a while.
'We could tell from the on-screen maps that we had lost height - from around 40,000ft to 20,000ft - and that we had turned round.
“We gathered there was something wrong with one of the engines.'
Ms Laming and Ms Cauldwell, who both attended Exeter University, were on a travel tour which included the U.S, having just completed their degree courses.

Both were put on a flight from St John’s to Newark, New Jersey and were being flown back to London from there.
A United Airlines spokesman in London said today: United flight 130 from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow diverted to St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada.
'There was a mechanical problem with an engine, and out of an abundance of caution, the pilot elected to divert the plane.
'The Boeing 757-200 carrying 50 passengers and 9 crew members landed safely and without incident.
'We re-accommodated customers on other flights to London.'

Hahaha, and yet the FA's were able to run up and down the aisles!! Media dramatization is pathetically funny!

Lizzie Laming, 22, of Sittingbourne, Kent, said she watched in horror ......

The last 22 year old I talked to didn't know what an unfurnished apartment was.....but man the media made it sound good!!

Remember, it's good to have a clip on tie.

LOL. "captain clip-on" was my handle on the the old 'Hughesworld" crack-pipe a decade ago (before they changed their name and turned into a paysite.) I think I stole the name "captain clip-on" from an old Judge Reinhold movie - Fast Times at Ridgemont High - I think.

'The Boeing 757-200 carrying 50 passengers and 9 crew members landed safely and without incident.

They should have a put a CRJ-200 on the route! They could have saved on crew costs...

Thank God it only "plunged" . . . . if it had "plummeted", the story could have ended much differently for all aboard. ;)

50 passengers on a 757? That is a non-rev's dream!!!

50 passengers on a 757? That is a non-rev's dream!!!

LOL- was thinking the same thing. The part about '50 pax' caught my eye more than the red highlights!

Latest resources

Back