• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United gets China

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WASHINGTON, Jan 9 (Reuters) - The U.S. government on Tuesday tentatively selected UAL Corp.'s (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile , Research) United Airlines for new non-stop service to China, regulators and the airline said.
The U.S. Transportation Department awarded United daily service between Washington Dulles and Beijing's China Peking Capital Airport. The service would begin March 25, if the agency's decision becomes final.
United's proposal was selected over bids by Continental Airlines (CAL.N: Quote, Profile , Research), American Airlines (AMR.N: Quote, Profile , Research) and Northwest Airlines (NWACQ.PK: Quote, Profile

Good for them. They fought a good fight against CAL, NWA, and AA, and won.

Looks like Delta will probably get the route authority for 2008, since it is only available to new entrants, or airlines that do NOT currently fly to China, and I think we are the only ones left who have applied and not gotten it. Heck, we hardly go to ASIA at all, except for daily ATL--NRT and newly announced ATL-Incheon (Seoul) for the Spring. Grinstein thinks we will start Beijing service before the Summer Olympics in 2008.

Again, good for UAL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Considering AA didn't fight... :rolleyes:

If AA was a football team, they would have punted on first down every time they got the ball. Man, management REALLY earned their PUP on that deal. TC

Considering AA didn't fight... :rolleyes:

If AA was a football team, they would have punted on first down every time they got the ball. Man, management REALLY earned their PUP on that deal. TC

They'd probably still beat the Cowboys though... zing!

Looks like Delta will probably get the route authority for 2008, since it is only available to new entrants, or airlines that do NOT currently fly to China, and I think we are the only ones left who have applied and not gotten it. Heck, we hardly go to ASIA at all, except for daily ATL--NRT and newly announced ATL-Incheon (Seoul) for the Spring. Grinstein thinks we will start Beijing service before the Summer Olympics in 2008.

Again, good for UAL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

At least your passengers on that route won't be put in danger by the codeshare with Korean Air. Didn't DL drop the codeshare with them for a while?

GP

At least your passengers on that route won't be put in danger by the codeshare with Korean Air. Didn't DL drop the codeshare with them for a while?

GP

True, but that was due to them giving days off while on the road and none at home for their pilots. (well, not many) As a condition of the code share, our pilots went over to Seoul and looked at their procedures and policies, and helped change a bunch. They probably are thankful.....

But that was awhile ago, and we stopped the codeshare for a few months, tops.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So it wasn't stopped because KAL is incompetent? Hummmm...

Maybe they can sign up China Air next. :rolleyes: TC

i think nwa was even talking about their new routes to china in their world traveler mag. looks like a reprint is in store!

Definately great news and now makes us have 5 flights to China...I am hoping that they get more international routes lined up as I think this will be a very profitable route. Hopefully, the plans to make IAD as big an international hub as ORD will work out. Looking forward to the next few months.

Latest resources

Back