• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United and Strobe Lights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jetblue FOM states strobes/landing lights on when cleared for takeoff. If departure runway is also an arrival runway, then strobes on when cleared into position. I don't want to get squashed by Dash 8s at JFK, since they're the most likely to be cleared for arriving on the departure runway.

I just think that it is common courtesy to leave the strobes off until you are rolling, but maybe its just me.

Unfortunately, common courtsey is irrevellant in the face of a FOM or FAR mandate. Besides, at night a set of strobes blinking on the end of the runway is a great way to not get squished.

What silly sh*t.

Actually it's not. Pilots have killed themselves and their passengers by colliding on runways at night. So no, not silly at all....

After the fact...

Ever noticed how some people think it's stupid to follow the FOM on "silly little things" as they pontificate and justify their actions. Then, amazingly, some accident investigation board eventually reminds those sh!t heads just how smart they really are. Every reputable airline in business has a procedure for people to recommend changes to the FOM. The smart people use the procedure to recommend changes they can justify. Anyone who desregards a silly little FOM policy on a regular basis, because of "this reason" or "that reason," remains a sh!t head in my book. ws

Actually it's not. Pilots have killed themselves and their passengers by colliding on runways at night. So no, not silly at all....

Alright dude, I'll play the semantics game with you. When I said "silly sh*t," I meant an entire thread devoted to the exact moment when you turn on your strobes is completely ricockulous. Turning on your strobes prior to takeoff is of course an integral part of saftey, especially in the airline world. And of course being a professional aviator, both in the military and the civilian world, I have complete respect for following the rules to a T.

What else can I clear up for you Huck? We can go round and round on the semantics of a post all day long my friend.

Ever noticed how some people think it's stupid to follow the FOM on "silly little things" as they pontificate and justify their actions. Then, amazingly, some accident investigation board eventually reminds those sh!t heads just how smart they really are. Every reputable airline in business has a procedure for people to recommend changes to the FOM. The smart people use the procedure to recommend changes they can justify. Anyone who desregards a silly little FOM policy on a regular basis, because of "this reason" or "that reason," remains a sh!t head in my book. ws

I certainly hope you're not aiming this retort at my post. If you are, you will see I never said following the rules of a particular airline's FOM is silly, I said devoting an entire post is the "silly" part (reference my response below). On the contrary, following the rules of the FOM is something I'm 100 percent behind. Am I still a sh*thead in your book? I certainly hope I have your praises now. LOL

I like the stupid people who stare at the strobes and then complain about them.

Here is a clue for the stupid people - IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BLINDED BY THE STROBES, DON'T LOOK AT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And PLEASE (!!), do not prove you stupidity by complaining about it on flightinfo.com.

You know, it is a LITTLE annoying, but when your sitting in position on 25R/24L at LAX and they are landing Aeromexico, Air China, or some other carrier that may have screwed up their landing runway, those strobes sure are cheap insurance.

SkyWest states strobes may be turned on when cleared for takeoff, which is somewhat surprising since we lost a metro at LAX because someone landed on them. I forget whether it was day or night, but regardless it's cheap insurance.

Last edited:
At XJT it is taxi and inspection light on for pos/hold, and stobes and landing lights on when TO clearance is recieved. If the takeoff rwy is also in use for landing I usually throw the strobes on as well.
Who do you think can see your inspection lights? Think about it

Latest resources

Back