• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
737-9 is a pig, but the newer ones with the 27,000# engines are a little better.

At the end of the day it's QOL for me or else I'd be flying the 757.

You hit the nail on the head. I will fly the worst plane if the price is right and the schedule is good.

Not to change the subject....but, I've been told by the last couple of retreads I've flown with that all the folks who are not trained by whatever deadline and garner displacement rights are going to be bumping junior sCAL Captains out of their bases. So not being able to hold the seat may not be an obstacle. But there are no sides.
There was at least one which alerted everyone to this contractual provision and training scheduling is tracking it very closely now to prevent it from happening again. The one was rumored to be a pilot who took a EWR 737 FO vacancy, wasn't trained in time, and his seniority would hold 756 captain so that's what he took.

I'm aware of that, and personally ok with it. I've been bumped out of captain before* and had a pretty sweet deal to bump into. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Can't imagine this is true, but it appears I'm better off bumping into any seat in the former cal system than looking at the UAL flying. The 787 is the obvious choice, but as soon as the 25th airplane comes sUAL guys will be on it. I don't want to fly a pos airplane and I want a variety of nice places to fly. That seems to relegate me to the sCAL system. That can't be 100% right. What's a nice bes to look for openings on the UAL side? I want no bunkie, 2 commutes max, and I don't care for Europe. 777 DCA, SFO or LAX?

*far easier to lose captain in a SLI than to an overnight retirement age change. At least for me anyway. Matter of fact, this SLI would have been a lot cleaner deal if retirement age had stayed 60. 65 had the exact same results as both strikes at our former airlines. Pilots who crossed are like the ones who stayed=windfall. Guys who toe the line=screwed. Hope nothing like either of those happen again. Greed has to stop.

Dude, get over yourself.

Life is full of changes that are beyond your control.

You must be the most miserable guy to spend time with.

Just take a chill pill and appreciate every day. Life is short, and you spend
way to much time bitching about things that are in the past.

Grow up!

I'm aware of that, and personally ok with it. I've been bumped out of captain before* and had a pretty sweet deal to bump into. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Can't imagine this is true, but it appears I'm better off bumping into any seat in the former cal system than looking at the UAL flying. The 787 is the obvious choice, but as soon as the 25th airplane comes sUAL guys will be on it. I don't want to fly a pos airplane and I want a variety of nice places to fly. That seems to relegate me to the sCAL system. That can't be 100% right. What's a nice bes to look for openings on the UAL side? I want no bunkie, 2 commutes max, and I don't care for Europe. 777 DCA, SFO or LAX?

*far easier to lose captain in a SLI than to an overnight retirement age change. At least for me anyway. Matter of fact, this SLI would have been a lot cleaner deal if retirement age had stayed 60. 65 had the exact same results as both strikes at our former airlines. Pilots who crossed are like the ones who stayed=windfall. Guys who toe the line=screwed. Hope nothing like either of those happen again. Greed has to stop.

Dude, get over yourself.

Life is full of changes that are beyond your control.

Just take a chill pill and appreciate every day. Life is short, and you spend
way too much time bitching about things that are in the past.

Grow up!

Abysmal. I thank Smisek and the rest of the senior managers at United for the poor performance. If you spend the time looking at their bios, you'll see that most of them were with pre-2010 CAL. So these are the people who were running the 'pretty good airline' that Flopgut speaks of.

The combined airline rises to a level of incompetence that I have never witnessed at any previous employer.

Previous employer being the Federal Government?

No airline rises to that level of incompetence. Get real.

How about everyone stop living in whatever grand era you think you were apart of, and recognize that your paycheck says United and isn't signed by you. Both airlines needed each other, neither would've survived alone.

If everyone wants to be the best, start acting like the best. I've yet to see it, just name calling and in-fighting. Meanwhile mgmt is organizing and looking for ways to exploit it. We're our own worst enemy here.

Last edited:
How about everyone stop living in whatever grand era you think you were apart of, and recognize that your paycheck says United and isn't signed by you. Both airlines needed each other, neither would've survived alone.

If everyone wants to be the best, start acting like the best. I've yet to see it, just name calling and in-fighting. Meanwhile mgmt is organizing and looking for ways to exploit it. We're our own worst enemy here.

^^^^this^^^^

Is this a profession/union or f-ing match.com?! Certain behaviors and past transgressions are suppose to matter. At least that's what we heard from the prater types for 25 years. I may be "miserable guy to spend time with" I don't know. But that doesn't matter a bit, I'm a solid person to work with and the exact kind of person you want to be working the same contract with. Acting like a union doesn't mean we have to like each other.

There was at least one which alerted everyone to this contractual provision and training scheduling is tracking it very closely now to prevent it from happening again. The one was rumored to be a pilot who took a EWR 737 FO vacancy, wasn't trained in time, and his seniority would hold 756 captain so that's what he took.

Nice !! :)

I flew with a f/o on his last trip on the bus before he went to training for Guppy f/o. His training took so long he was able to take a bump to Captain on the Guppy. That is one screwed up training center in Houston.

Latest resources

Back