Union Resurgance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stop that!

Thank you pilotyip. This is an often overlooked benefit of walmart. Do you think target would charge higher or lower prices if walmart didn't exist?

PCL: The free market (ie millions upon millions of people that decide to shop at walmart) says it is good.

No walmart employee is forced to work there, and no one is forced to stay working there. If they don't have the mental capacity or motivation to move up, or move on to a higher paying job, that is not walmart's problem.

Walmart does far more to help the poor that you think it does to harm them. I recall that they will sell perscription drugs for $5. Your SS check will buy you more at walmart than anywhere else.
Stop dealing in reality this a pilot board, it does not deal in reality

Sorry, but I have no desire to benefit from dividends at the expense of the employees that can't afford health care, let alone stock. WalMart is evil.
I suppose this would make Continental Airlines evil. What does healthcare cost for a family of 4 these days?

I suppose this would make Continental Airlines evil. What does healthcare cost for a family of 4 these days?

CAL is absolutely disgusting in the way it doesn't provide health insurance for the first 6 months. Health insurance averages about $15,000/yr for the average family.

Last edited:
My Cobra coverage when I left PCL for the family would have been $628 per month, or about $7,500 per year.

Better coverage than I've seen anywhere except when I had Blue Cross / Blue Shield PPO coverage back in 1998.

Funny how so many right-leaning pilots fully embrace unrestrained free market capitalism, unless it has to do with oil or airlines. I wish I had the time to see if any of you Wal-Mart fans have been bashing SWA in other threads, or complaining about over-capacity.

Wal-Mart and SWA both put pressure on prices: but at least SWA has the decency to pay good wages and keep their employees off the public dole.

And poverty for their employees, forcing their health care costs onto the state medicaid programs, driving good small businesses out of business, etc... WalMart needs to die.

So do low cost carriers such as Value Jet (I mean Air Tran).

Dubya would just declare a nat'l pilot strike as a threat to nat'l security and the Department of Homeland Security would gain authority to "detain" :rolleyes: anyone involved in labor actions......wouldn't put it past our monkey-brained president.

Um....wouldn't that create a real pilot shortage and really mess up the industry for a few days (until they let everyone out of jail to fly the planes?)

And poverty for their employees

I seriously doubt that there is a large percentage of walmart employees living in poverty. Is it that hard to fathom that, just maybe, the average walmart worker is not the sole income earner in the house hold? This is true for any min wage worker. The average household income of a minimum wage worker is around $50000. Why do you think this is? Could it have something to do with the fact that either the are a young adult living at home (ie student) or the are not the only earner in the household.

Every worker at walmart has decided for themselves that working for what ever wage and benefit package they get is better than not working at all. What they don't need are liberals telling they what is best for them.

Latest resources

Back