Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
Guy I know got canned today from a southern california charter outfit because he asked his DO for current charts to fly an international segment, asking the company for his reimbursement check for the last two months expenses and for having the audacity to ask his company for a credit card to purchase fuel so that he would no longer have to use his own card to fuel company aircraft. Anyone want to guess the company?

Nothing surprises me anymore. Now that guy has a termination from an air carrier. This industry= FAIL

Guy I know got canned today from a southern california charter outfit because he asked his DO for current charts to fly an international segment, asking the company for his reimbursement check for the last two months expenses and for having the audacity to ask his company for a credit card to purchase fuel so that he would no longer have to use his own card to fuel company aircraft. Anyone want to guess the company?

Nothing surprises me anymore. Now that guy has a termination from an air carrier. This industry= FAIL

Had you not put in "a southern California Charter company", I would have guest TMC Jets :smash:

From the limited information you've provided, it appears that he was NOT terminated for CAUSE. His pilot records that will be made available to future employers under PRIA should be just fine. But if I were him, I'd seriously consider hiring an attorney - especially if the company that gave him the boot owes him substantial expense dollars.

Feed up with this half A** amature B.S. from junk companies, TMC would fall into this category. Yes many outfits are "at will companies" and profess to be able to terminate for any or no reason, this is not entirely true. I know for a fact that one of these junk companies are learning this little lesson the hard way... If you get sacked for B.S. get an attorney on it (yes, we all hate em) but it pays dividends.

Feed up with this half A** amature B.S. from junk companies, TMC would fall into this category. Yes many outfits are "at will companies" and profess to be able to terminate for any or no reason, this is not entirely true. I know for a fact that one of these junk companies are learning this little lesson the hard way... If you get sacked for B.S. get an attorney on it (yes, we all hate em) but it pays dividends.

Can't terminate for "any" reason. There is the list of protected classes, and you cannot terminate based on those. In addition, you may be afforded some additional protections in the event the termination was the result of an employees' refusal to do something illegal (i.e. refusing an un-airworthy aircraft), and similar stuff.

Fifteen minutes in front of a labor atty will bring you up to speed in a heart-beat.

can't terminate for "any" reason. There is the list of protected classes, and you cannot terminate based on those. In addition, you may be afforded some additional protections in the event the termination was the result of an employees' refusal to do something illegal (i.e. Refusing an un-airworthy aircraft), and similar stuff.

Fifteen minutes in front of a labor atty will bring you up to speed in a heart-beat.
absolutly correct!

Can't terminate for "any" reason. There is the list of protected classes, and you cannot terminate based on those. In addition, you may be afforded some additional protections in the event the termination was the result of an employees' refusal to do something illegal (i.e. refusing an un-airworthy aircraft), and similar stuff.

Hmmm...not sure about California (I think that's the state we're talking about). But if Cali is an "at will" state, an employer can certainly terminate an employee without cause. Not that they need a reason, but workforce reduction would be sufficient.

problem is proving it. It is your word versus all the management's. They will win everytime.

problem is proving it. It is your word versus all the management's. They will win everytime.
...which is why smart managers give absolutely NO REASON for firing someone. HR guy should simply say, "Under our state's 'at will' employment statute, we have decided not to use your services any longer. Good day." Harsh, but best for the company.

If they fired you for not doing something illegal and you report it to the FAA, there MIGHT be some whistle-blower protection.

Latest resources

Back