• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL furloughees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A VLJ is as explained a very small, light weight twin engine jet designed to carry maybe 3-5 pax, single pilot, small airports, and are being targeted at the 135 Airtaxi market in addition to private owners. Several manufacturers jumping in, Eclipse, Adams 700, Citation Mustang, and the likes... At 3-6M a piece, still not going to revolutionize Air Charter operations. Single pilot will be a big holdup I believe and with the unionization of pilot groups like Net Jets, the entire business plan of paying pilots squat so the company can make money will limit the potential. Hey, great idea for the doctor who currently flys his Bonanza, or the guy flying his Cheyenne turboprop that can afford the VLJ now. A jet is a safer option in my opinion, just not going to be filling the skys as some predict. With the overcrowding of airspace, DRVSM, insurance, ete.... not that big of a concern.

The VLJ's will IMHO create a new market for a very small niche (should I say "VSN") that will eventually grow in the long run but will be no major option to "regular" people that populate airliners. Besides, most internet ticket wholesalers and such have already eliminated the most heinous last minute fares that used to be the staple of the airlines that in some ways helped spurr some business jet markets into reality. With walk up fares so low, the VLJ can never compete on price. What it will do is finally put out to pasture all the dirtbag C-90 King Airs and Cheyennes that people charter these days for similar reasons the VLJ's are being looked at. In the future they'll get on a little VLJ instead.

There are several outfits flying today, like "Sky Taxi", etc - that offer the exact same concept, with very limited success. It is a potentially valid model but I think it will more likely funnel people off the pricey Netjets/Options/Citation Share type of 135 "card holder" programs than the airlines.

Latest resources

Back