• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL furloughees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Clarify the "BYPASS" please anyone. As I understand it, we can bypass up to two years when recalled (with a letter from your employer) however there is a clause when the last pilot out has been offered their job back, then the bypass becomes what ????? Can UAL shorten the length of the bypass at that point ? And in what order ?

I would like the entire 2 years just to see how United's health holds up.

Any idea of how many mil leaves are out there and how many will come back after BK ?

Yikes! My understanding is that you can go on an LOA if you provide your local flight office (LAXFO, whatever) a contract binding you for the two years, but you need to have that in place before you are recalled. Then, when they get to your name on the list, you are automatically cycled to LOA status, and come off your LOA like you would normally. The Bypass provision, as I read it, is different and has only to do with if you are on furlough and get offerred recall, you can chose to defer, at which point it continues down the list, and, as it has been explained to me, it will be offerred in seniority order down through the list until reaching the last guy, they will then turn around and move up the list from the bottom, and at that point you must either choose recall or resign.
This was the way the letter/LOA thing was explained to me, so if that is your intent I would make sure to contact a flight office or Todd Coomans (sp?) to ensure that ducks are lined up if you want the full two years, because it was specifically told to me that the LOA had to be in place before recall, for what it's worth.

Chappysan said:
................Anyway, I'm going to hedge my bets and guess that, minus any terrorism, etc., all 1,800 or so will be offerred recall by mid-2007-that doesn't mean physcially in the puzzle palace, just an offer that many will bypass.

I've been furloughed from UAL since Aug 03. I certainly hope that most of the ~1800 have moved on with their lives and are not "pining" away waiting for good 'ole United to call them back. A little self-respect please. Yippee - another chance to jump onto the "balance beam" and see if they can make it to the end (?what retirement?) before someone starts pushing them off again. You couldn't pay me contract 2000 wages to go back there now. I'm looking forward to telling them to "pound sand" when they call me back. Good luck to those who accept.

I was just talking to a good friend of mine recently (DEN 733 FO), 11/99 DOH, now a USAFR C-17 AC, lives near SEA. He's putting in apps at FDX and SWA.

He never expects to wear a UAL uniform again, and actually, he expects UAL to be the next TWA, in and out of BK several times, until they finally go Ch 7.

BTW, I think he heads back to the sandbox for a 2 week rotation tomorrow...

Last edited:
here comes the June 2007 hiring boom, more signs

"A little self-respect"? "Pining" away? Didn't like the Contract 2000 rates? I guess you're trying to jab away for some response. Whatever, dude. I'll go back if everything's status quo b/c it's still a better job than the one I've got now. Congrats on FedEx. Life is nice when you have options.

If I could get an interview with Fed, Ups, or SWA and get hired and then have "options" then I wouldn't be wishing that things would turn around. Consider yourself lucky to have, "OPTIONS".

Chappysan said:
"A little self-respect"? "Pining" away? Didn't like the Contract 2000 rates? I guess you're trying to jab away for some response. Whatever, dude. I'll go back if everything's status quo b/c it's still a better job than the one I've got now. Congrats on FedEx. Life is nice when you have options.

I guess I did sound a little harsh. I'm not jabbing. I am just pi$$ed that the industry has turned into what it is. It's a shame that someone has put their life on hold for 2+ years and then has to go back to UAL with no guarantee that the same thing won't happen again a year later. Most pilots are talented, resourceful people and could easily do better than the current job at UAL. It may not be flying but they'd probably be happier.
I certainly did like contract 2000 rates. $140/hour in the right seat of the 757 was great. All I'm saying is, to me that's not worth going back to if I have to worry about my job from week to week. I consider myself very lucky to have options in the flying profession. I (and everyone else) also have options that don't involve flying. I know plenty of furloughees that have found better jobs than UAL, started their own businesses and are WAYYY more happy than they would be with 10 days off/month working for peanuts.

Latest resources

Back