Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL Merger Buzz Article......(Again)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They believe that United, struggling in an era of depressed industry revenues, could invigorate its market value and its competitiveness in a crowded market by joining with another domestic carrier.

Won't make a dime's worth of difference unless management is brought in that knows how to run a farking airline...

I hate to say it but just watch $20+M in dues walk out the door to an independent union if there is even a chance at CAL pilots getting screwed. What do you think the CAL MEC would do? It ain't the same airline as 1983 anymore. Nobody will make the same mistake as USAirways anymore. The dominated pilot group will decertify ALPA prior to binding arbitration.

I will be right there doing anything I can to get ALPA out of here if they screw us with UAL or with our contract. ALPA is on thin ice in my opinion and they need to EARN the money the take from us every month. This is their last chance.

A while back I believe CAL opened UAUA's books to consider the feasibility of a merger-- they closed it pretty quick then silence until now. I'm pretty sure the debt UAUA has piled on at the tune of $21 billion is not something CAL is looking for... But then again, it's the airline industry we're talking about here, right?

I will be right there doing anything I can to get ALPA out of here if they screw us with UAL or with our contract. ALPA is on thin ice in my opinion and they need to EARN the money the take from us every month. This is their last chance.

I got news for you, here is one UAL guy that would be on the band wagon to dump ALPA right along with you. Don,t believe the crap you read on hear about UAL guys looking to screw CO guys, or that we changed ALPA merger policy. I wish we had that much influence but reality is none of us do. Hopefully when it is all said and done both sides will be really pissed off, then it was done right.

I still fear that without the merger we are just going to end up getting pitted against eachother constantly, a management option that goes away with a merger.

According to SCordleAB of AirlineForecasts”

Is he really?? That explains his anti-union tilt on every pile of $hit he spews for the papers.

I think this merger will go down this year. It just depends if Delta can turn a profit and start kicking our arses. If they do, then a merger announcement will happen shortly thereafter. But, if we can do a virtual merger....which they're doing right now.....and make a steady profit, a merger will never happen. The only thing that will happen is a whipsaw against both pilot groups. This is where we need to concentrate our efforts, not how we're going to get what's "ours". United pilots need to get ahold of their scope and we need to concentrate on DRASTIC changes in our contract. And if a merger does goes down, we need to all work together to improve this career for both pilot groups.

It appears today that UAL is making a leap to a 52 week high in stock price due to a recovery cited in all of the business markets it serves. I would think the new Delta will be making a profit very soon with it's market exposure at least twice that of UAL. My guess is a merger is on the way soon too. Either way good luck to all. In the end a merged company done the right way (if and only if) will be much more stable and give mainline pilots the appropriate pay, security and retirement. We must end the outsourcing! That's why I like CAL scope.

I think this merger will go down this year. It just depends if Delta can turn a profit and start kicking our arses. If they do, then a merger announcement will happen shortly thereafter. But, if we can do a virtual merger....which they're doing right now.....and make a steady profit, a merger will never happen. The only thing that will happen is a whipsaw against both pilot groups. This is where we need to concentrate our efforts, not how we're going to get what's "ours". United pilots need to get ahold of their scope and we need to concentrate on DRASTIC changes in our contract. And if a merger does goes down, we need to all work together to improve this career for both pilot groups.

Delta is a profitable company operationally, but the large loss stems from the oil hedging that went wrong. That cost a bundle. The merger has been very successful so far, and DL is starting to move planes around to maximize profit potential. Take away the hedges loss, and it would have been all positive numbers. That certainly wasn't a merger related problem, rather one guy rolling the dice it seems.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back