• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA "national seniority list"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I agree the concept of a NSL looks good on paper, it will never work in reality. The only way to consider such an idea is to grandfather in the new pilots being created today. Other than that, won't work

UAL is laden with loads of debt attached to very high interest rates. CAL won't be merging with that liability any time soon so everyone just relax. Now if they use the recently high stock price to issue equity and pay off that debt, then the dynamics of the merger game will change. But until that happens, the "virtual merger" is both companies MO for the moment.

As one poster said, none of us will decide how this turns out, arbitrators and the courts will. In the meantime, lets both focus our efforts on getting the contracts we deserve.

Oh, and I'm all for fences; 10yr+ IMO.

"Career Expectations/Progression". What a joke, there is NO SUCH THING, in the unregulated, recessionary, post-911 airline world.
At the regional, I "expected" to hold jet Captain in my hometown, but growth at the '"other" regional partner, fleet retirements, and phony bankruptcy killed that.
At UAL, I was told they were hiring 300 after me. That went to being in the last class, to the first of 1400+ furloughs. Now I work in a friggin shopping mall.....

Expectations? very specious in this business. Same word of warning to those building ratings....

The only thing I "expect" now is to be stapled to the bottom of any merger.
What was that Menken quote? Raise the flag and slit throats?.....
Here ya go!

Yes.

Lets say you're in the bricklayers and tile setters union. Company A hired you as an apprentice and eventually you gained enough experience to make journeyman with an associated payscale.

Now you leave company A after 5 years for whatever reason and company B hires you. You go to B at 5th year pay, but you go to the bottom of the seniority list. From a pilots standpoint, whats wrong with that? The new guys are not taking anything away from those more senior. Some of you whiners need to realize this.

Nowhere has it been said the former A employee is going to take your seat/domicile/vacation so relax.

But as with any industry, construction or airlines, there are management shenanigans.
You have touched the very essence of the national seniority list. Pilots have the very keys to the lockbox but are so selfish and narrow minded that they will only agree to a list that will give them advantages over another potential list member. management know this and uses this to their advantage daily.
Rest assured, nothing will change, except management will continue to golden parachute to their private islands in the Bahamas,while some pilots feed their kids with unemployment checks and food stamps.
PBR

Latest resources

Back