Types of AC seen at Hondo, TX airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jump Pilot said:
I flew jumpers at a motorcycle rally outside of Hondo a few years back. We based out of Hondo for the weekend.

There was a Mexicana DC-9 parked there that had the snot knocked out of it by a hail storm. It wasn't going anywhere soon. There was also a good number of military trainers parked under patio hangars on the north side.

The most memorable thing was the wx radar dome had a big dent in it from the tornado the previous year.
You outta see my Hondo tornado pics, I was living there when it happened. I took a lot of pics all over the airport. 2001 was not a good year for that airport, in that August the old WW2 hangar caught fire, burned and took about 15 planes with it

I took an 727-200 in there for maint back in '01

414Flyer said:
You outta see my Hondo tornado pics, I was living there when it happened. I took a lot of pics all over the airport. 2001 was not a good year for that airport, in that August the old WW2 hangar caught fire, burned and took about 15 planes with it

Didn't they have two tornados that year? That DC-9 had holes in the ailerons from the hail stones so big you could stick your hand through it. PM me some pics if you can.

Jump Pilot said:
Didn't they have two tornados that year? That DC-9 had holes in the ailerons from the hail stones so big you could stick your hand through it. PM me some pics if you can.

PM me your email address, I can send you lots of pics.

Latest resources

Back