Types of AC seen at Hondo, TX airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyguyMN

My dad was telling me that on numerous occasions, when he has been driving along HWY 90 between (Sabinal, TX and San Antonio, TX) when he drives past the airport in Hondo, TX, he has seen an L-1011 and many other large A/C. Since this is not a major airport by any means, why would you see an L-1011 there?

flyguyMN said:
My dad was telling me that on numerous occasions, when he has been driving along HWY 90 between (Sabinal, TX and San Antonio, TX) when he drives past the airport in Hondo, TX, he has seen an L-1011 and many other large A/C. Since this is not a major airport by any means, why would you see an L-1011 there?

Because everythings bigger in TX?

No idea.

There is a heavy maintenance company at HDO, Knight Aerospace I think? Maybe that's where it's parked.

As I recall there are a couple of maintenance organziations that conduct various maintenance operations on L1011's located at Hondo. Jet Center Aviation comes to mind as this company specializes in aircraft interiors, maintenance, restoration, and painting.

I have seen a 747 doing landings there.

Sometimes planes have been occasionally parked there for storage, also there is an interior company there, maybe even maint like mentioned before.

I used to fly out of there in 2001.

I flew jumpers at a motorcycle rally outside of Hondo a few years back. We based out of Hondo for the weekend.

There was a Mexicana DC-9 parked there that had the snot knocked out of it by a hail storm. It wasn't going anywhere soon. There was also a good number of military trainers parked under patio hangars on the north side.

The most memorable thing was the wx radar dome had a big dent in it from the tornado the previous year.

I didn't know any L-1011's were still flying. I liked them, as a passenger, when they did. I also liked the Electra, but they are also gone.

Latest resources

Back