• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swerpipe

My Favorite Customer
Folks,

On www.southwest.com it now states that a type rating is required for employment but not for interviewing. It looks that this website has just been updated so it looks like it is a new thing. I guess good news for the people that wanted to interview without getting the type rating.

Just my thoughts

Everybody knows the nums on how many folks with types are waiting for the call for an interview (app. 800), 3300 other apps w/o types. I suspect SWA wanted plenty of folks to choose from for upcoming interviews. I would still suspect folks w/types will have an advantage at least to get the call for an interview but openly up the flood gates at this point will just relieve the continued second guessing on when they would've dropped the requirement in the future. Now folks can decide clearly if they wish to spend the money & assess for themselves if a type will help make someone more competitive in terms of getting hired & not just getting called for an interview.

The bottom line will still be based upon a large number of factors, the type is only a small part of the equation I would guess but we did hire folks in the past without types. Good luck,

If this is true, then it is great news. For those who do not wish to take the $8000 risk, then the game is still on. Those who have already got the rating will most likely move to the top of the list of those to be interviewed first (with the new "competitive" process, I am sure the "type" will be a big part of the equation).
As far as having a type making you more competitive during the interview, you will have to decide yourself. I know there are many who would disagree with me, but I found it very advantageous going into the interview with the type rating.
In anycase, this is good for both sides of the camp. I wish all those still waiting (typed or not) for an interview the best of luck.

I know they are working on a 'competitive' interview selection process as opposed to the previous first to apply-first interviewed policy. As you can see from my profile I blew the 8K on the type thinking I would be in the short stack which would be interviewed first. Is SWA likely to continue their previous policy of exhausting the typed stack before starting on the non-typed stack?

Does anyone have any idea about the make up of the "typed" stack of applications? How many are do-over interviews? (That would be me) How many are pilots who bought the type but have yet to get the chance to interview? How many are furloughed from other airlines and only applied after their furlough? etc, etc, etc,

just wondering

I think that this change is a very positive sign. I imagine that it is the first step in the process of renewing interviewing. Seems like Mr. Beeks is about to get some of the wifes money. :)

regards,
enigma

Last I heard...

The "type" will put you in a different pile, but flight currency and the "quality" of your hours will play a part. In other words, if you have the bare minimums for the hours requirement and have a "type", that doesn't mean someone with more hours and no "type" will not be called for an interview before you. Keeping currency in a 172 will be less valued than keeping currency in a multi-jet. Just my interpretation of the conversation I had with LL a month and a half ago.
Sounds like the "type". when you applied, flying currency/type of aircraft, and quality/number of hours could determine how quickly you get an interview. LL never said the "type" will guarantee an interview, but I think the track record for getting an interview has been very favorable for those that have the type. I guess now the question would be how quickly.
There are many here with far more experience with SWA's hiring process, so hopefully those folks can shed a little history/light on the subject. Best of luck to all!

Aplus

Last edited:
Type or no type?

At the end of the day when it comes to the interview, if they don't like you they won't hire you - type or no type! I know a guy who bought his type after regretfully unsuccessfully interviewing with SWA a first time only to be unsuccessful the second time around, all that money spent and no job, such a shame.

As for me, my money stays in my pocket until they give me a job offer.

Latest resources

Back